General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Infrared Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Default Infrared Trouble

Hi guys
I'm new here. A friend of mine introduced me to the forum with some great words of optimism. Anyway, I have 96' c220 and have an issue with the remote infrared opener. It just stopped working one day. Checked fuses, all good. Checked spare remote, still no change. Checked batteries in the remotes (got a new set) still not working. There's got to be a trick of some sort. I wonder what could've gone wrong and where to start with the testing and investigating.
Thanks

Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Infrared Trouble

you mean, you cannot open the door lock with remote?

Old 11-17-2005, 02:58 AM

babarouge is talking about the infrared feature that opens all the windows down as well as the sunroof.

so seems.....his remote still unlocks the doors, but wont do the window trick anymore.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 AM

babarouge....did u try it on the passenger side?

if it works on the passenger side, u know what it means. (receiver sensor on your driver's side door handle is bad.)

Old 11-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Thanks guys for quick replys. This is the issue. There is a red and green light on the review mirror that flashes if you're pressing the little infrared remote control. As you know that happens if you are remotely trying to unlock or lock the doors and also disable the starter as a security feature. Now, simply, those flashing lights are not coming on or any of locking/unlocking is happening. That is after new set of batteries, different remote, fuses checked (under the hood, driver's side) I think there is more fuses and that kind of stuff elswhere in the car but this is as far as my knowledge goes.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:51 AM

It may just be that your key needs to be re synchronised.

Start by looking into the red IR output on your key, and press and hold the lock/unlock button. after holding it for about a second, you should see a red flash. If this is okay, point it at the IR receiver, which is the round **** under your centre rear view mirror, then within 30 seconds turn your ignition on. As long as your key is not broken inside, this should sync it again.

If it doesn't, take your key to a tv repair place, and the may have an IR tester. They will be able to tell you if there is an IR output.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: dondas

It may just be that your key needs to be re synchronised.

Start by [ul]looking into the red IR output[/ul] on your key, and press and hold the lock/unlock button. after holding it for about a second, [ul]you should see a red flash[/ul]. If this is okay, point it at the IR receiver, which is [ul]the round **** under your centre rear view mirror[/ul], then within 30 seconds turn your ignition on. As long as your key is not broken inside, this should sync it again.

If it doesn't, take your key to a tv repair place, and the may have an IR tester. They will be able to tell you if there is an IR output.
THESE ARE ALL NEW TO ME, UNHEARD OF. AM I MISSING SOMETHING?[*] looking into the red IR output??[*] you should see a red flash??[*] round **** under centre rear view mirror??

Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 PM

Hi fly_major_fly

The system you know is probably the later version called DAS3, Before that there was DAS 2A and then DAS 2B.

I believe that Babarouge would have DAS 2B which is the system which I described. It is the last system which still required a steel key to be inserted into the ignition barrel. (excluding A and M class vehicles) From what I recall, DAS3 didn't start untill 1997.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 AM

dont forget to browse the Edsoto interactive for the W210.
though it may be for later model, the concept is similar
in relation to the processing units, central locking, courtesy
locking (windows/roof).

Edsoto
...ack...it seems to be down at the moment so check back.

I just downloaded the whole ISO and imaged it onto CD
for immediate access. There are video clips showing how
things work and I recall specifically the IR video. Viewing
this may help w/your situation.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM

This may sound ridiculous but when mywife got her car the IR key batteries were dead . after replacing the batteries it didn't work I thought there was something wrong also but like it was mentioned
looking into the red IR output on your key, and press and hold the lock/unlock button. after holding it for about a second, you should see a red flash
The only difference was that a friend of mine told me this
While holding the button insert the key in the trunk lock turn to the right 2 times and then left 2 times
It worked for me ...... 1997 C280