General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

HELP! Blower OK... But doesn't run!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Default HELP! Blower OK... But doesn't run!

The rust on the shafts tells me that I will NEVER get the squirrel cages off! It was a bit stiff but it spins now and runs fine on my battery charger. 2Amp is quite fast - give 'er 10Amps and it sounds like it has a starter circuit, but quiets down once it reaches speed. (no idea what amps I should give it - am I harming it?

So the motor works (brushes less that half worn) and I have power on the fuse. I also get 12V on the red lead to the blower. What's the blue lead?
I've wiggled the leads thinking it might be a lose connection - not a peep!

This car is in MINT condition but someone has been in here and just THREW the thing back together!! One bolt was missing, the other was lose, there are screws missing all over and what white clips?? They just chucked them I guess.

So whatever it is, someone gave up.

Any ideas? I assume there is a control circuit because there are 2 fuses and one runs everything on the car (just about) so it couldn't possibly power the blower - right? Is there a RELAY somewhere? Is it burnt out because the blower siezed?

I'm still looking for a circuit diagram - have the 2 CD's but nothing for 400E. Should I look at 300E?

Am I checking the right fuse? (I've checked 2)

Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELP! Blower OK... But doesn't run!

it must have faulty regulator.

can you state your VIN please?

Old 12-06-2005, 02:47 AM

Alfonso, thanks,

I actually did manage to find tha D*** regulator and after quite a struggle, got it out from under. That pin thing underneath was a bit of a surpprise - not sure how one is intended to remove it.

Don't know how to test it so I just hooked everything back up and shorted across the regulator terminals. The blower sprang if to life so I guess I spend my $525CAN and just replace it. I am assuming that the blower just siezed up and by the heat that it generated, I would guess that if you don't fix that, the regulator just burns up.

Any way to confirm this before I spend the big bucks?

Old 12-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

in many cases, their blower motor shaft seized and it didn't affect the regulator at all. a fuse can be blown.

just make sure you lubricate the shafting too.