General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Heated seat troubleshooting before taking to dealer on this Friday

Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Default Heated seat troubleshooting before taking to dealer on this Friday

The driver side heated seat stopped working last week. The switch lights do not illuminate either hi or lo and no heat. Pax works fine. 2004 C230 4matic, 90K miles. Dealer appt this Friday who says prob is seat element and is about $750.00 repair. I've checked the fuses which appear OK. Any way to quickly tell if the switch is faulty, or not hooked up since they recently took apart dash?

About a month ago, a "five click - then stop" sound under the dash occurred and the repair was removal of the dash and some kind of motor replacement for the heat/air control unit - some $900 repair. Subsequently took a 2K mile trip and heard slight vibration behind the dash (near the switch panel - or perhaps that is NOW what I wanted to hear). No matter, slight vibration/rattle is no more.

The driver heated seats worked one time since that repair, then no more.

How can I easily troubleshoot to see if it is something other than the heated seat grids? Can I easily remove the switch panel to see if the heated seat switch became loose?

Perhaps I can't do much on my own, but at least I can be informed when I take it to the dealer on Friday and not have the wool pulled over my eyes. I just spent some $2600 the last service and am worried their work last time caused this problem. Not sure they would own up to that. Perhaps I am being to harsh. They always have been courteous.

Anyway, if I can troubleshoot it a little myself that might save some dollars.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts! Your quick reply may help.

mj