General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

GPS Signal Radiator for S class

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Default GPS Signal Radiator for S class

A “GPS Signal Radiator” solved my problem with the S windscreen. Recently I bought a Garmin Street Pilot loaded with Thailand maps for use in Bangkok. The machine worked beautifully with my SLK but it couldn’t capture any of the orbiting satellites through the windscreen of our S Mercedes.

Yesterday I went over to Pantip Plaza in search of an external antenna and I found something that may be even better: a signal radiator. It is a small (5 cm x 5 cm or 2’ by 2’) magnet based external antenna that sends its GPS signals by an attached wire NOT directly to the Garmin but to a small rebroadcast antenna located inside the car. Thus there are no extra wires connected to the Garmin.

I want to find a more elegant way of connecting the external antenna to the internal rebroadcaster. Today to test it I ran the wire through the rear window. Perhaps I can feed the wire into the boot (trunk) via the space occupied by the refrigerator…if there is enough wiggle room. Then I could set the external antenna on the lid. I am not sure how tightly the lid closes to the chassis; I don’t want to damage the wire.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7339/A73DF212C7B54B1F89CD6A62DC7CA1B8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7339/3AE450846EA240ACB5687A04272D2EC6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7339/D9FADBE36DE74B298A68B89A01F84598.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: GPS Signal Radiator for S class

it's magnetic, so the best place i used to put them is nearest to the unit and with less wire exposure.

in thailand, you can pickup at least 5 satellites, sometimes 7.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: sleepwalker

it's magnetic, so the best place i used to put them is nearest to the unit and with less wire exposure.

in thailand, you can pickup at least 5 satellites, sometimes 7.
If I run the wire between the door and the body....do you think there is enough soft rubber so as to not damage the wire? I'd rather not run it through even a slightly opened window (A/C)...besides, I think if the window went up by mistake the pinch might be worse.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7339/244C9886273D4B289E0E537E00E97A37.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

do not put it on the window since the glass can pinch it through the channel.

on the door, no problem. there is always soft spot even if you close it everytime. the weatherstrip are made of soft materials to fill the gap.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM

on the door, no problem. there is always soft spot even if you close it everytime. the weatherstrip are made of soft materials to fill the gap.
Thank you. I shall run the wire through the door.

My friend, Golf, sends her thank you's too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7339/BFCAE3CAC7EB404DA14B18F925F8ACA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2006, 11:39 AM

Will repeated closings of the door with the wire in the way causage a leakage if it rains?

Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 PM

Cool. I need one of those for my truck... when I have the camper loaded. I have to use a remote antenna because the cabover part blocks the antenna if it's on the dash. But as you pointed out, it means an extra wire in my Garmin unit. I'd rather do something semi-permanent and hidden with that signal radiator thing you found.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1044/ADE859553E624C78B71E1142BC02021C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

no. rain cannot penetrate the sealing. it is rubberized anyway.

i see most cars they stick it just on the glass area of the VIN using double tape, and can only see about two inch of wire. it looks neat.

sawadikap Golf. couch potato eh?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/0930C22B0F874BACA1335F1D90AC6400.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Cool. I need one of those for my truck... when I have the camper loaded. I have to use a remote antenna because the cabover part blocks the antenna if it's on the dash. But as you pointed out, it means an extra wire in my Garmin unit. I'd rather do something semi-permanent and hidden with that signal radiator thing you found.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1044/ADE859553E624C78B71E1142BC02021C.jpg[/IMG]
That's true! You could put the receiving antenna on the top of your camper and run the broadcasting antenna into anyplace in your cab. Though I plan to keep the Garmin in my SLK I wanted the ability to use it on the S when we take longer trips. Tomorrow we are going to drive up country about 150 kms so it will be nice to have this moving map with us. I'll let my wife drive while I sit in the rear passenger-side seat and play with the COMAND and the Garmin with the two remotes. Though I like to drive I love sitting in the rear seat of a LWB S. Perhaps I'll stock the in-seat fridge with a nice bottle of Chardonnay.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:43 AM

no. rain cannot penetrate the sealing. it is rubberized anyway.

i see most cars they stick it just on the glass area of the VIN using double tape, and can only see about two inch of wire. it looks neat.

sawadikap Golf. couch potato eh?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/0930C22B0F874BACA1335F1D90AC6400.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks. I'll do that. Though I am primarily going to use the Garmin in the SLK I'll move it to the S for longer trips. With the Signal Radiator on I can keep the Garmin in any part of the car. Tomorrow I am going to have my wife drive while I sit in the rear next to the fridge. I can put the Garmin on the armrest and play while she does the driving....the perfect 'backseat driver': "Dear, turn left in 500 meters."

Quick Reply: GPS Signal Radiator for S class