General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Got to be a way around this problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Default Got to be a way around this problem??

Ok so for the first time, I forgot to turn the lights off on my car the other night. This, as expected, killed the battery. Now the halarity begins... I parked the car in the parking garage at my home. I backed into the spot as I normally do. The now dead battery is in the trunk, and I have other cars parked on both sides of me! You see where I'm going with this.... I stuck, and I can't jump start the car, due to the fact that I don't have 20 foot jumper cables. So I say to myself, "self, just push the car out of the spot, so you can pull up the Pontiac and jump start it". Great plan right? Wrong, the battery is dead so, the computer won't see the e-key, and I can't put the car in neutral. How did I get around this you ask? Well I had to take the battery out of the Pontiac carry it over to the MB, power the car up off this battery, so I can put it in neutral, then I pushed the car out of the spot, put the battery back in the pontiac and the proceeded to jump start the MB. All this because 1. I was stupid by not turning the lights off, and 2. The MB was stupid by not turning the lights off. I know I can't fix problem number one, but is there a way to set up my CLK so it turns the head lights off after so long with out the ignition on? This seems pretty common these days, so I was shocked that my CLK didn't.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Default RE: Got to be a way around this problem??

Did you try calling Mercedes' roadside assitance? This is probabably te best service Mercedes have, since its valid for the life of the vehicle. They helped me put on the spares twice, and jumped my car once.

Most of the newer Mercedes models have the auto-headlamp feature, such as the current C, S, E, CLK, CL, SL.....
They can also control the dalayed-shut off lamps (exterior / interiro) feature usaing the steering wheel buttons.
I've heard where dealers are able to disable / enabled the delayed shut off exteror lamp by using the Mercedes softwares.
So I think the auto-shut off could be programmed for the headlights too

Old 07-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Default RE: Got to be a way around this problem??

No I didn't call the roadside assitance. I hear that this is an exceptional service. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to wait when this happened. I have the car going in for some other service in a week or so. I'll ask them about the headlamp set up while I'm there.