Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

If there's no way around this, I won't be able to drive my MB anymore. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:55 AM
Default If there's no way around this, I won't be able to drive my MB anymore. Help?

Hey-

Today I took out my beloved 1975 300D and I noticed when I got back that it left a couple sizeable oil marks on the driveway. So a few hours later today I started up the car, let it idle for a few minutes then checked the transmission fluid level and it red well under the minimum fill line. I put another half quart of oil in and took it to the shop tonight. After looking at quickly they determined that I have some sort of transmission gasket leaking or something wrong with a bushing in the transmission causing it to leak. So they told me that it will likely cost around $1,700.00 to fix. However, after driving to and from the shop (total of 45 min on the road) I checked my trans fluid level again and it registered way above full, and they told me that they didn't add any trans fluid.

Of course I've been doing everything in my power to take care of it. Since midway through summer I've done everything from buying a new set of tires, new battery, new vacuum pump, and personally: put in a new alternator, oil and filter change, trans fluid and filter change, PS fluid and filter change, new glowplugs, new air filter, new fuel lines and filter and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting. I simply don't have that money in my budget for the transmission fix though. I'd feel really bad if there's nothing I can do about this besides park it and buy a beater to drive around until who knows when.

Is there any way around this? Is it possible that its actually not leaking? I know it's not the pan gasket, but could it be anything else? I really don't want to give up driving this car for anything else.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: If there's no way around this, I won't be able to drive my MB anymore. Help?

Not sure but do not run it over the fill line thats worse than running it slighty under. Just check the fuild every time u fill up its a diesel so that shouldnt be very often.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Default RE: If there's no way around this, I won't be able to drive my MB anymore. Help?

Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: widmer

Hey-

Today I took out my beloved 1975 300D and I noticed when I got back that it left a couple sizeable oil marks on the driveway.
If it was black, it was oil and your transimission is probably ok. If it was lighter, pinkish/red, it was transmission fluid and you do indeed have a problem.

So a few hours later today I started up the car, let it idle for a few minutes then checked the transmission fluid level and it red well under the minimum fill line. I put another half quart of oil in and took it to the shop tonight.
The transmission may not have been hot enough to get a good read. Did you add oil or transmission fluid?

After looking at quickly they determined that I have some sort of transmission gasket leaking or something wrong with a bushing in the transmission causing it to leak. So they told me that it will likely cost around $1,700.00 to fix. However, after driving to and from the shop (total of 45 min on the road) I checked my trans fluid level again and it registered way above full, and they told me that they didn't add any trans fluid.
Determine if it's still leaking, and if the leak is black engine oil or pinkish/red transmission fluid. If it's black engine oil, then your transmission is probably ok. But you need to drain, or use a Pella to suck out the extra 1/2 qt of transmission fluid you previously added, and continue to closely monitor the transmission. If you still have transmission problems, you need a second or even third opinion. Try to find a transmission shop that has an excellent reputation and has been in business for many years.

Of course I've been doing everything in my power to take care of it. Since midway through summer I've done everything from buying a new set of tires, new battery, new vacuum pump, and personally: put in a new alternator, oil and filter change, trans fluid and filter change, PS fluid and filter change, new glowplugs, new air filter, new fuel lines and filter and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting. I simply don't have that money in my budget for the transmission fix though. I'd feel really bad if there's nothing I can do about this besides park it and buy a beater to drive around until who knows when.

Is there any way around this? Is it possible that its actually not leaking?
Since you personally changed the transmission fluid, then you must know if the leak was Black engine oil or pinkish/red transmission fluid.

I know it's not the pan gasket, but could it be anything else? I really don't want to give up driving this car for anything else.
Engine oil can leak from a variety of places, from the rear seal to the valve cover gasket, to the front around the turbo, or even around the new vacuum pump, etc...

Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 PM

On the other hand if it is a transmission leak it could be coming from the B2 cover on the side of the tranny.
Surfer of Mercedes club says the following:

I have replaced the B2 piston and O-ring on several 124 and 126 body cars with the transmission installed, albeit they were on a lift. You really don't need a lot of room and some of the steps listed below may be eliminated if you get enough clearance. The steps are:

1-Remove the fan and shroud. (You don't need a hole in the radiator )
2-Remove the transmission dipstick tube retaining bolt at the cyl head and dipstick.
3. Remove ALL the exhaust support hangers (rubber O-rings) Naturally you need to support the rear miffler with a pole jack!
4. Remove the transmission mount and cross member.
5. Remove the flexdisk at transmission output and move driveshaft to side.
6. Lower the rear muffler until the engine/transmission has rotated back enough to access the B2 piston assy.
7. Clean, clean, clean the area you will be working on.
8. Push the piston cover in with fingers and remove the circlip.
9. Push the cover in and out a few times and it should pop right out.
10. Remove ONLY the cover and the O-ring. Replace and lube O ring and reinstall.
11. As the Manual says "Installation is reverse"!