General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Glow Plug Relay Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Question Glow Plug Relay Issue

Hello All,

I've recently been running into some issues concerning my glow plugs not warming. My first steps were to remove the metal case around the relay that was under the dash to look and see if there was any damage to the unit. After inspecting it and plugging it back it it clicked and my glow plug light came back on no issue. Over the past few weeks it will click over by itself or id manually hold it in place and the light would switch on and I'd be able to start my car no problem. However recently the light became dimmer until now it doesn't even come on at all. But when I manually hold the relay over my other dashboard lights dim. I checked all my fuses my battery and even cleaned the connection spots. Still no solution. I have a new manual override glow plug system coming in the mail but was wondering if I could somehow hot wire my glow plugs directly from the battery.

TL;DR Need to know if and how I can manually hot wire my glow plugs using a wire from the battery until my permanent fix comes.

Thanks all anything is appreciated

Old 01-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Sorry! 240d 1979

Also I attached a picture of me testing the glowplugs to make sure they weren't faulty but it looks like they actually all are. The wires connecting the glow plugs together were getting cherry red with whenever id turn the car on.'

Glow Plug Relay Issue-img_1651.jpg