General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Front suspension parts replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Default Front suspension parts replacement

Took our MB to the dealer to have it checked out. They noted a few items that will need to be replaced, but are OK for now. Most of this stuff should be relatively easy, but I have never done work on a Benz before. At the prices they quoted, DYI is the way to go. I have a lot of experience working on cars.

One thing I'll need is a decent repair manual, something that seems hard to find. There is THIS ONE on Ebay, is it any good. Or maybe THIS ONE from Manuals unlimited. Is there any place else to get decent manuals?

What it looks like I'll be needing is:

Lower Ball Joints. I'm thinking this is a pretty straight forward repair. Anything unique about Benz ball joints? Dealer quote $220

Front Control Arm Bushings. Kits are available for about $50. Dealers quote - $680

Engine Mounts - I have not crawled around to see what is involved, but can pick them up for about $80 ea.

Transmission Mount - A $30 part. Dealer quote for engine and transmission mount $590.

Is there anything that difficult involved with the above repairs that someone that has a lot of experience working on cars should shy away from?

I did ask about the tray thing to replace the cassette holder undernieth the radio and was told it is not avaiable for 1998s (bummer)

I did get a print out of the VMI which is pretty cool as I did not have any service records for the vehicle (besides a couple of oil changes, which with 22K miles is probably about all that should have been done).

The VMI did note a couple of Campaigns that were closed for the W202 Battery Check which I have read about and something with the Harmonic Balancer which it looks like was just inspected.

All in all, not too bad as I kind of expected the dealer to come up with an extensive list. They also noted that the front brakes and rotor would need to be replaced soon, but that is an easy fix (thier quote is $510).

Any input is appreciated, especially on the manuals.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Front suspension parts replacement

Everything you listed is pretty straight forward. Benzes are more or less like any other car when it comes to repairs.

Whatever you feel comfortable with doing on your own, go for it! You'll learn more about repairs and save some money while doing it! You'll definitely want a nice set of jack and jack stands to do pretty much all of that work.

The dealer is BSing you on the dash pocket. It fits 1994-1998 just fine. Just tell them to order the part and put it in yourself.

The manual at Manuals unlimited is definitely the Mercedes WIS (Workshop Information System). It is what Mercedes dealership mechanics actually use for reference when. And from the screenshots, it looks like that is also what the eBay seller has. I'd e-mail the seller and ask first if it is the WIS software.
It's definitely one of the best manuals to have!