General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Front License plate in CA.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Default Front License plate in CA.

I'm living in CA, I knew front License plate is a law, but I can see some drivers doesn't install front license plate.
how is that possible?

Old 05-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Front License plate in CA.

well, don't you also see people speeding, and running red lights ? The trick is not to get caught. But if you do , there is a price to pay.
Usually cops won't ticket someone just for not having front license plate, since its only a $10, fix-it ticket.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:14 AM

Front plates are a law in most states but Mio is right... unless they are really bored, PD is not going to stop you for that. Also, you say your from CA so I doubt that you will get pulled over anyway. Every time I'm out there I see dozens of cars with NO plates. I asked a friend of mine from the Bay Area and he said the only thing PD cares about is your smog sticker. In fact he bought his wife a new Jetta in June of last year and when I was out there in late Sept. they still didn't have any plates. So go ahead take it off, front plates ruin the lines of most cars.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:10 PM

In Georgia they don't even give you a front plate, but cops don't care if you have a rear plate either. They're interested only in whether you have insurance. I drove three cars around with no plates for three months waiting for personalized plates. I got pulled over in two of them. The cop only asked for proof of insurance and didn't say squat about plates. I see people driving around all the time with no plates here. Some put a handwritten sign in their back window that says,"Tags applied for."

Anyway, in California it may be a secondary offense to have a missing front plate, meaning a cop can't pull you over for just that. You have to commit a primary offense for which the cop can pull you over, then he/she can give you a ticket for the missing front plate and every stinkin' thing else he/she can think of.

If the cop has some time on their hands and they're really **** about front plates and it hasn't been too long since they've last stopped for doughnuts, they can follow you around waiting for you to commit a primary offense so they can get a two-for-one ticket deal.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:07 PM

Driving without the rear plate is to much. but I think I can try the drive without the front plate.
thanks for replys everyone.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:13 PM

New cars sold in California don't come with license plates. It takes about 3-6 weeks for the DMV to mail your new plates. During that period of time, The dealer where you bought the car from will issue a temporarily license plate (its just a piece of paper), which is to be place on the windshield of the car.

In Ca, a person can be pulled over just for not having their front license plate. They even issue tickets to cars with no front plate in public parking lots.

Old 05-19-2004, 05:20 PM

Georgia dealers issues temporary plates too. But if the sale is between two individuals and a dealer isn't involved, the only people who care are the ones with the handwrtten signs in their rear window.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:09 PM

...along those lines, I just purchased a '98 E320 that doesn't have the front license plate holder. Here in Missouri we have to have 2 plates and since my husband is a police officer (no, he hasn't had his doughnut fix for the day) he wants to be sure and get it. But where can I get one? do I have to go to a dealer? thanks, much...
Debbie

Old 05-24-2004, 07:08 AM

THe license plate holder should come with the car no matter what.
My dealer didn't install the holder, instead they just put it where the space tire is and told me they could install it for me if i wanted to.
You may want to check inside your car or as the seller (since you bough it used), maybe he'll know where it is.
Or you can try ebay,

Old 08-06-2004, 05:27 AM

Yeah, I recently bought a car from a state that does not require front plates, so my SL has no front license plate mount...I'm afraid to ask the dealer how much that piece of plastic costs....and I would rather not drill any holes into the front bumper.