General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Engine oil grade

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Default Engine oil grade

I need to change engine oil on my 2000 E430 for the first time. I can't get a straight answer from the dealerships around me on required oil grade and the owner's manual isn't much better.

What grade engine oil do I need? Is there a difference between regular synthetic and "european" synthetic? Do I need to worry about this difference?

Thanks, Matt

Old 02-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Engine oil grade

go here and there is everything you will ever need to know about Mercedes oils and what is approved and for what engine. Engines with FSS without FSS etc

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Old 02-17-2006, 04:22 AM

Presumably this listing is due to the problems associated with extended oil change periods specified by FSS and the use of standard grade mineral oils in the States.

Where does the info re "fleece" filter element come from please. Why is the dleece filter important?

Why no mention of Mobil 1 10w-40. This is what my dealer uses in the UK.

There is always something bew to learn!!

Old 02-17-2006, 08:05 PM

Good question about the fleece filter. About a year of so ago I went to the dealer to buy a filter. I use Mobil 1 5/30w in my 99 C280. The parts person gave me the filter and it was $5 or so highere. I asked WHY? He simple said Mercedes changed to a different fleece like material. I asked why? Of course they didn't know. I recently change the oil in the C280 and got a Fram filter, which is the same as the paper ones, and a lot less inexpensive. Also, when I do get a Mercedes filter, sometimes it is fleece sometimes it is paper. I am **** about filters and oil changes, I change my FSS equipped C280 every 5K miles and between changes I change the filter. So, IMHO I see no really big deal with the fleece. The dealers knows nothing. Probably Mercedes need the extra money. I am waiting to see if K&N comes cout with a filter for my car, which they might have already but K&N filters and air filters are tought to get, in stock around here and usually special order. But Sleepwalker our resident Mercedes employee can tell us?

Old 02-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Same as my last reply, who the heck knows, what goes on over in those German minds. my dealer useed 10/40W Mobil in my car. When I changed my own I tried the 0/30 (?) Mobil 1, 5/30w amd 5/40w Mobil 1 anf noticed no difference. Sent speciments of each for testing and nothing spectacular going on in the oil. I have also use RED Line 5/30w and I didn't notice a improvment is performance and a quieter engine. But that is impossible to buy around here. So I have mail order and it's not cheap. Auto Zone said they were going to carry it over a year ago and so far they haven't.

IMHO any good quality, read name brand syntheic oil in the viscosity ranges recommende should work fine. But you know those Germans, they think we drive all day at 130mph on the autobahn like they do, where some of the recommende oils might then be of value. But if you used every oil greas, Atrthey recommend you could buy a new car in a couple of years at the prices they charge. Also, I am not a believer in a 10K miles oil change interval 5K is trhe max I will go betwee oil changes. Even my 79 450SLC is 6K miles, I change the oil between 3500 miles and 4000 miles with dino oil. Castrol High Performance 10/40w and add a can of EXP4 oil treatment. It is a syntheic product that coats the inners of the engine and with 114K miles, I feel it is worth it.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:47 AM

Thanks C280.

I didn't look too carefully but I thought Xw/30 oils weren't generally recommended in your list for the extended oil periods. I notice you are using this sort of oil but at much reduced change intervals.

I know nothing about the problems which have been going on in the States about oil grade and change periods but I understand that it has cost MB a lot of money in warranty work.

The thought of changing oil every 5000 miles is unthinkable here in the UK. An MB dealer charges circa £130 for an oil filter change on a V6. In fairness the oil retails at £80 unless you buy thru ebay. I change my own (you know its been done) but use a Fram filter which reduces the cost to about £37. I usually change the oil and filter somewhere between 10 and 15k miles.

In my mind I associate the use of sysnthetic oil by MB with extended change periods. Of course, as you mention there is high speed use in Germany which has a moderately hot summer climate 35deg C but not like Arizona 50deg C+.

Stuart

Old 02-19-2006, 10:35 AM

If you use a good quality modern synthetic or semi-synthetic oil there is little point in changing the oil under normal usage more often than every 10,000 miles and certainly not before 5,000 miles. It's just a waste of money and unless you have a pre-oiler fitted the starting of the engine after an unnecessary oil & filter change will probably cause more engine wear than leaving the oil in until the next sceduled oil change.

There have been radical improvements over the last 10 years in oil technology not just with better emulsifiers that hold harmful waste in suspension but in particular the adding of micronised chalk to neutralise the acids that form in oils as a result of the Sulphur content in fuels.

That then brings me to using the best fuels availiable. Its worth using the better grades of super unleaded fuels to avoid harmful waste products reaching the engine oil.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:10 PM

Hi,
I agree with you. Its the Americans that like changing oil more frequently. I guess its cheap over there.
Thats why I change my oil at 10k+ miles.
Are you in the oil industry?

Stuart

Old 02-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

When I change my oil it cost's me about $25.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:10 PM

The local Mercedes dealers change anywhere between $125 to $135US dollars to change the oil in my 99 C280. That's what the Porsche I use to own cost to change the oil and that car took 13 quarts. However, I am old school and I and others feel that 10K even with a good syn oil, I only use Mobil 1. This oil change I both a Fram filter myself, as the cost of a Mercedes new felt filter are $16US, a bit costly also. But I don't drive much any longer due to degenerative back problems. The car sits perhaps 3 or 4 days out of the week and when I do, it is back and forth to the doctors. A idle car is worst on the oil that driving at 100mph everyday. So, and upon the advice of a good Mercedes mechanic I change the oil at 5K intervals. Every situation is different. The owners manual states that driving condition can effect the frequency of oil changes. I another couple of years I will not be able to drive, or walk, so I am making sure the car is in good condition when I am forced to part with it. Same for the 450SLC I recently bought, as a last project before I am unable to do such things.