General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Electric windows & door trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:15 AM
Default Electric windows & door trim

My driver window on a 1993 200E does not cut out when it reaches the top - does anyone know where the stop limiter is?

Does anyone know how to remove the interior door trim to access the window motor?

Thanks

Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Default RE: Electric windows & door trim

when your window reaches the top does the motor hum or do you hear thumping/clicking?

My 85 sel's would reach the top and then click/thump until I let go of the button. Turns out the teeth on the curved mechanism that the motor drives had worn down and was jumping after reaching the top. My new setup has no stop signal generator. when the window reaches the top, the motor still hums (all the windows, the hum is real quiet).

door removal....carefully

Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Hi, andmoon,

My 94 S320 experience the similar problem this morning. I heard the motor hum and hear the thumping sound when the window of driver side reaching top. The motor could only stop when I let go the switch! I jsut start wondering it might due to malfunction of the circuit or relay or switch! However, it seems I were wrong after reading your post.
Can you tell me what exactly you have replaced?
Many thanks!

ORIGINAL: andmoon

when your window reaches the top does the motor hum or do you hear thumping/clicking?

My 85 sel's would reach the top and then click/thump until I let go of the button. Turns out the teeth on the curved mechanism that the motor drives had worn down and was jumping after reaching the top. My new setup has no stop signal generator. when the window reaches the top, the motor still hums (all the windows, the hum is real quiet).

door removal....carefully

Old 09-02-2005, 02:04 PM

Yes it turned out to be just the arced and toothed regulator - with the window up any moisture obviously drains down and rusts the last few teeth out plus those teeth take the brunt of the stop. I bought a new regulator from mercedes as the breakers were quoting the same price for a used one - £76 !! The teeth on the motor cog were slightly worn an more so where it stops so I just moved the motor cogs round a little so it will stop on the less worn ones - it all works fine now.

As someone else said - with a welder you could build up the regulator worn teeth and file to shape or if you had another worn one cut out a section of teeth and splice them in.

The motor cuts out when the window hits top - must have a current sensor in the circuit which cuts the supply when it loads up when the window hits top or bottom.

Good luck - I'm well versed in removing the door panel now.............