General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Diesel fumes...? Can't figure out why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Default Diesel fumes...? Can't figure out why?

Hi
I just bought my car about a month ago. I was pretty happy about it until I started feeling sick when I would drive it. I kept getting diesel smell.
I found a series of problems and fixed them.
One thing I have noticed with this diesel is that the fumes are strong. Other people have commented on it as well. I am a chemically sensitive person, but have been around diesels since I was a kid. Parents owned them, I owned them, and even worked in a conversion garage.
At first I narrowed it down to a few things, the flex pipe was broken, fixed that. Hoses leaked a bit, repaired that. Had engine steam cleaned...
But the fumes are strong when I am in the car with windows up or down, its intermittent too. Checked trunk seal as well as back lights.

One thing I was wondering about was the Alda Valve. Someone adjusted and it ran much better. I know there are people that feel its wrong to do that and some that dont. My question today is ...Do you think adjusting the alda made my fuel too rich or strong smelling? No one can figure this out.
Just thought Id ask. I am a female and dont know a whole lot about cars. But I am ready to sell this one and just bought it.
Let me know if you have any imput. Thanks so much.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Look for leaky fuel hoses especially around the inline filter area. Another area could be the fuel tank hoses. It doesn't take much to cause a smell.
Gary

Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Hey guys, Thanks for responding.
Forced...does that mean it would make the smell stronger or "richer" as you accelerate?

Gary...where would I find this hose? I looked at some photos online and I think its in the engine compartment? I replaced all the hoses on top of the engine. Those were leaking a little. I think thats what you're talking about.
I also noticed when I was filling up a few days ago that it was kinda wet around the gas cap. My mechanic checked and he said I hadnt had the cap on properly and that a lot of people do that and smell fumes. I still kinda smelled something even after I put it on right. Now Im curious to know what youre talking about. Let me know if you have any more answers.

Thanks so much!!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 AM

hi.

have you checked your gas tank breather hose? this may also be the reason of the smell that you are experiencing.. thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Here is a link with some good photos of the fuel hoses.
http://www.dieselgiant.com/mercedesfuelhoseinstall.htm
It doesn't take much to make a lot of smell if you sensitive to that.
I had most problems around that inline filter by the manual pump.
Gary

Originally Posted by Diesel_Fox
Hey guys, Thanks for responding.
Forced...does that mean it would make the smell stronger or "richer" as you accelerate?

Gary...where would I find this hose? I looked at some photos online and I think its in the engine compartment? I replaced all the hoses on top of the engine. Those were leaking a little. I think thats what you're talking about.
I also noticed when I was filling up a few days ago that it was kinda wet around the gas cap. My mechanic checked and he said I hadnt had the cap on properly and that a lot of people do that and smell fumes. I still kinda smelled something even after I put it on right. Now Im curious to know what youre talking about. Let me know if you have any more answers.

Thanks so much!!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks, Gary! The photos were helpful.
I've had mechanics look over the engine and there have been some leaks found and they have been repaired.

And Tags, where is the breather hose located?

I was out driving with my mom the other day and she said my car smells "strong"...like the diesel smell is much stronger than my brother's '84 300D Turbo. I told her about the gas cap not being correctly and that it was back on tight so when I showed her I noticed it was wet with diesel under that black rubber part.

The cap was on tight but it was wet under there.
Then we reached through the trunk compartment and cound feel from behind the "nozzle" (again, I dont know the proper name)
It was totally black and greasy. Could that be from fuel dripping or do cars get like that underneath. Feels like there must have been a leak.

But why would my car reek diesel fumes more than my brother's? Even just when people stand outside of the car they say "Peew!"

I'm at a loss. Ive found several causes but still am getting sick everyday from my car. I am feeling so exasperated that I am ready to sell this car. Which really sucks because it took me months to find one that I could afford and it is so clean on the inside and mostly on the outside too. A little clear coat on the hood but other than that this car is really nice.
But I cant keep getting sick like this.

Thanks for all your help and understanding.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 09-27-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Fox
Thanks, Gary! The photos were helpful.
I've had mechanics look over the engine and there have been some leaks found and they have been repaired.

And Tags, where is the breather hose located?

I was out driving with my mom the other day and she said my car smells "strong"...like the diesel smell is much stronger than my brother's '84 300D Turbo. I told her about the gas cap not being correctly and that it was back on tight so when I showed her I noticed it was wet with diesel under that black rubber part.

The cap was on tight but it was wet under there.
Then we reached through the trunk compartment and cound feel from behind the "nozzle" (again, I dont know the proper name)
It was totally black and greasy. Could that be from fuel dripping or do cars get like that underneath. Feels like there must have been a leak.

But why would my car reek diesel fumes more than my brother's? Even just when people stand outside of the car they say "Peew!"

I'm at a loss. Ive found several causes but still am getting sick everyday from my car. I am feeling so exasperated that I am ready to sell this car. Which really sucks because it took me months to find one that I could afford and it is so clean on the inside and mostly on the outside too. A little clear coat on the hood but other than that this car is really nice.
But I cant keep getting sick like this.

Thanks for all your help and understanding.

the breather hose usually is connected to the gas tank opening and the gas tank itself.

based on your last post, i suspect it's either your gas tank cap or the hose.

if its your cap, its probably worn out and needs to be replaced.
you said it's on tight but still you see some leaks there. try to replace this one first