General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Constant Clicking from Terminal Block/Relay (?) under Hood - Even when engine off

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Question Constant Clicking from Terminal Block/Relay (?) under Hood - Even when engine off

Hi All,

My wife and I were driving home tonight after a spring break trip. We've got a 2001 ML320 with ~ 140k on it.

Out of nowhere, it started 'clicking'. From the inside of the vehicle it sounded like it was coming from mid-dash, behind the radio cluster. The clicking is constant...every 10 seconds or so. Every time it clicks, the lights go out for just a split second...like blinking.

No other issues, just the noise and the "blinking".

When we got home, I was astonished to find that it continued to click even though the engine was turned off.

After opening the hood, I found that there is a small relay (doesn't look like a relay, just a silver block with two terminals, but I don't know what to call it) just to the right (with my head in the hood) of the battery, mounted to the vehicle. There are two red cables attached to this "relay". One goes straight to the negative terminal of the battery and the other goes into the deep darkness of the engine somewhere else.

The clicking is loud enough that I can still hear it in the house...

Any ideas? I am thinking that maybe my battery is getting low and this is some sort of warning system?

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Cool I would love to know the answer as well

I had the exact same problem only it killed my battery while I was inside at work. Mechanic checked relays and recharged the battery and it has not done this since. Prior to pulling into my parking spot the ETS ABS and ESP lights all came on as I was pulling into work. I have a 2001 ML320 as well with 150K + on it. Co-Workers reported the noise it was making but I could not leave to disconnect the battery.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by alaghon
Hi All,

My wife and I were driving home tonight after a spring break trip. We've got a 2001 ML320 with ~ 140k on it.

Out of nowhere, it started 'clicking'. From the inside of the vehicle it sounded like it was coming from mid-dash, behind the radio cluster. The clicking is constant...every 10 seconds or so. Every time it clicks, the lights go out for just a split second...like blinking.

No other issues, just the noise and the "blinking".

When we got home, I was astonished to find that it continued to click even though the engine was turned off.

After opening the hood, I found that there is a small relay (doesn't look like a relay, just a silver block with two terminals, but I don't know what to call it) just to the right (with my head in the hood) of the battery, mounted to the vehicle. There are two red cables attached to this "relay". One goes straight to the negative terminal of the battery and the other goes into the deep darkness of the engine somewhere else.

The clicking is loud enough that I can still hear it in the house...

Any ideas? I am thinking that maybe my battery is getting low and this is some sort of warning system?

Thanks for any help!
take a picture so we can see what it is. doesnt sound normal to me..especially hearing it in the house. check to make sure the terminals are on tight. its not good that your lights are blinking. sounds like a short or a loose wire or ground.

Last edited by chassis221; 03-23-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Default What it appears to be....

Well, two days after this started, a friend of mine told me my left taillight was out. I checked and, sure enough, it was. The left front 'running light' was out too. Turns out the fuse for those two lights was burnt out. I replaced the fuse and it hasn't clicked since.

It is a nice feature to the car. Too bad they don't tell you about it in the owner's manual

Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Default It would be nice if they did.

Originally Posted by alaghon
Well, two days after this started, a friend of mine told me my left taillight was out. I checked and, sure enough, it was. The left front 'running light' was out too. Turns out the fuse for those two lights was burnt out. I replaced the fuse and it hasn't clicked since.

It is a nice feature to the car. Too bad they don't tell you about it in the owner's manual
I will check this out to see if I have any malfunctioning lights. Yes, it would be nice to have that little tidbit in the manual BEFORE it killed my battery and cost me a tow and battery charge