New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New Guy on the block, cylinder block that is!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Default New Guy on the block, cylinder block that is!

Hello to all..........

Wonder how many dieselheads are on this forum?

I have owned 3 benzs, 85 190E, 83 300D, and currently an 87 300DT. All have been owned over the past 3 years.

The 190E got hit in the rearend and it was totalled by the Ins. company. The 83 300D wouldn't pass inspection so I removed the engine and tranny, junked the rest. The 87 300DT is a real keeper and is in near mint condition inside and out. It has 234K and with thwe replacement engine at about 170K.

I hope there are some dieselheads to share info and stories with and look forward to exchanging posts etc.

Steve............

Oh, I live right on the coast and the fog horn blows quite often here, seemed like a good name to use!

Old 08-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Default RE: New Guy on the block, cylinder block that is!

THE 87 300 D MOTORS THE 601,602,603 WHERE BAD ABOUT COOLANT GETING IN TO THE CYLINDERS,,,THE HEAD WOULD EAT THOUGH THE INSIDE OUT,,,IM WORKED IN THIS LADYS CAR NOW FOR 11 YEARS SHE HAD 37,000 WHEN SHE GO IT 87 190 D 2.5 TURBO IT GOT 287,000 MILES NOW WITH NO PROBLEM OR USEING ANT OIL,,,SAME HEAD ,,I CANT BELIVE IT ,,SHE SAYS THAT BECAUSE I HAVE TOKKING GOOD CARE FOR IT OVER THE YEARS....SHE BRING IT IN ON TIME EVERY SERVICE AND OIL CHANGE

Old 08-13-2004, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: MB/TECHMAN

THE 87 300 D MOTORS THE 601,602,603 WHERE BAD ABOUT COOLANT GETING IN TO THE CYLINDERS,,,THE HEAD WOULD EAT THOUGH THE INSIDE OUT,,,IM WORKED IN THIS LADYS CAR NOW FOR 11 YEARS SHE HAD 37,000 WHEN SHE GO IT 87 190 D 2.5 TURBO IT GOT 287,000 MILES NOW WITH NO PROBLEM OR USEING ANT OIL,,,SAME HEAD ,,I CANT BELIVE IT ,,SHE SAYS THAT BECAUSE I HAVE TOKKING GOOD CARE FOR IT OVER THE YEARS....SHE BRING IT IN ON TIME EVERY SERVICE AND OIL CHANGE
Hi there MB/TECH

Funny thing you mentioned water getting in from inside. Lately, I have had to add water and now I have to add it more frequently!

I am aware about the improper use of green anti-freeze in aluminum heads and this engine did not have MB anti-freeze in it, also, the head is leaking oil out the rear passengers side aft head from the head gasket.

I did the "squeez the radiator hose at cold start-up" and there is no pressure, thank God!

Also, I see water droplets on the underside of the oil pan but cannot see where it is comming from. This I hope explains the need to add water.

I have just received my MB service/repair CD manual and have bought a new head gasket, bolts, and maybe will do new lifters and chain as well. I'm planning on doing all of this next week.

The head is original and will have it pressure tested and skimmed. If it is cracked, I will have to locate a used #17 or newer, head somewhere!

I bought this car cheap because it had a cracked head and was why I replaced the engine. The replacement engine was said to have a good head from the wrecking yard I ordered from on-line.

Didn't know the early 5 cyl 6XX engines also suffered the same syndrome too?[&:]

Old 09-08-2004, 09:57 AM

I too have a 300td 87 and love it. It has 300,000 miles and now a cracked cylinder head thanks to me pushing it too hard with a leaky head gasket. I just posted in the new member area asking advice on keeping or ditching it. Any advice? I too live on the right coast but probably a little north of you in Nova Scotia.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:04 AM

I was having overheating problems on my 300td at high speeds with a load it would overheat. The cooling system would over pressurize then overflow then overheat. After trying many fixes my mechanic said it was probably a leaky head gasket. I decided to wait but pushed it too long and now the cylinderhead is cracked. I put a lot of gasstation coolant in it - said it was ok for diesel and aluminum engines - so maybe that didn't help. Hearing about the documented problems and the head I'm not inclined to have it repaired but go for a new one..
ORIGINAL: FogHorn

ORIGINAL: MB/TECHMAN

Hi there MB/TECH

Funny thing you mentioned water getting in from inside. Lately, I have had to add water and now I have to add it more frequently!

I am aware about the improper use of green anti-freeze in aluminum heads and this engine did not have MB anti-freeze in it, also, the head is leaking oil out the rear passengers side aft head from the head gasket.

I did the "squeez the radiator hose at cold start-up" and there is no pressure, thank God!

Also, I see water droplets on the underside of the oil pan but cannot see where it is comming from. This I hope explains the need to add water.

I have just received my MB service/repair CD manual and have bought a new head gasket, bolts, and maybe will do new lifters and chain as well. I'm planning on doing all of this next week.

The head is original and will have it pressure tested and skimmed. If it is cracked, I will have to locate a used #17 or newer, head somewhere!

I bought this car cheap because it had a cracked head and was why I replaced the engine. The replacement engine was said to have a good head from the wrecking yard I ordered from on-line.

Didn't know the early 5 cyl 6XX engines also suffered the same syndrome too?[&:]