General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

CLS350 cutting out without warning, safety issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 PM
cdg
Thumbs down CLS350 cutting out without warning, safety issue

my 3 years old CLS has developed an intermittent fault; 3 times (twice when turning right, once when straight ahead), at low speed (20-50 kmh) the car goes completely dead ! no warning, no preparatory shut down of other systems, just dying immediately.
the dealer was pretty unhelpful to say the least, said: "your car's ready to collect" when asked what the problem was they said "we couldnt find one, so you can collect the car".
I explained my obvious concern with the safety issue, and they said, "well, the car isn't showing a fault, so not much we can do". i asked them to contact MB germany, and they said "no, we have to go through australia, and they wont talk to us, unless we have a fault number"!!
i was surprised at this response - no dooubt any one would be - esp with MB's apparent approach to achieve the highest level's of safety.
Can anyone explain this, or advise if this has happened to them before (the fault - not the service!)
many thanks for your help anyone
CDG

Old 07-18-2009, 12:01 PM

I feel you pain. I work for a Mercedes Dealer in the US. When we get a car that we can not verify safety or not we test drove it for at least 10 miles run a diagnostic test, and then ask our shop forman what should we do next. Usually if we cant verify the complaint and have no codes its not much we can do. There are so many things it can be. Mercedes knows that you have a problem but they know once they throw one part in it in a attempt to fix it, if you still have the problem after that you can get the car bought back. I am not sure if you have a buy back law over there. But that is how a lot of people here scam mercedes, by having them buy the car back because the dont want it anymore