Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E240 - Engine Cutting Out Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Unhappy E240 - Engine Cutting Out Issue

Dear Users,

I need your help.
I have an E240 1998 Saloon, which has recently developed a problem.
The problem is that when the engine seems to get heated up (After say 30 minutes of constant driving), and you come to a halt the engine cuts out. The Car will not start until it has cooled down.

I have been given a number of explainations for this including
1) This is due to the Fuel pump issue.
2) The Starter Motor needs replacing.
3) Mercedes Benz use a special grease in the starter motor and if the
wrong one is used this can cause a problem.

Can anyone suggest what the issue is and where in North / North West London, I can take the car.

Many Thanks.

Regards
Sanjiv

Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Oil getting into the wiring loom around the autobox maybe and shorting out things, and working again when the oil is cold and not shorting things, often happens, and mentioned on here quite a bit, esp in the S Class forum?

You say you want somewhere in North / North West London, well I can't give you NW london, but I can tell you I use AMC (see http://www.amclondon.com/) who are in Earlsfield, South London, and have found them to be very very good, reliable and good value for money. Give them a ring they may be able to suggest things that might be wrong before you even take the car along!

When ever I have spoken about an issues I have noticed on my two Mercs they have always been knowledgeable about the problems (having seen them before etc) and been able to talk about it and solutions over the phone.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Default E240 cuts out when hot

I had the exact same problem, cut out after about 15-30 minutes, shorter time if I'm in heavy traffic. (Intermittent!). If I left it for 15minutes it started like there was nothing wrong in the first place!

Apparently the older Crankshaft Position Sensors start to break down and become sensitive to heat, when the overheat they cut off and it's like the immobiliser has been switched on.

I ordered a new Crankshaft Position Sensor off ebay (£30) fitted it in about 20mins, now perfect.

TIP: the clip holding the cable that must be removed first, can be almost impossible to get your fingers around both clips at the same time. I got a metal kebab skewer and bent the last 1/4" at a right angle, pressed the outside clip which I could reach, then slipped the skewer under the plug and pulled it off. You can then get at the one No8 Torx bolt which holds it in place.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jrhilton
Oil getting into the wiring loom around the autobox maybe and shorting out things, and working again when the oil is cold and not shorting things............
What you are referring to is the transmission plug internal leakage on the 722.6 transmission and has absolutely nothing to do with the problems the OP has.