General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

CLK ALTERNATOR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:55 AM
Default CLK ALTERNATOR

Hey guys,

I came up to a problem with my clk, i think the alt is bad, when i hit the lights on and off there is a big loud sound coming from the altenator housing, also a constant squeaking noise that can be heard at all time when the engine is on.

How hard is it to change the alt, also is there a way that i can spray a WD40 or something like stop belt squeaking spray or what should i do guys.

thanks
CLK

Old 12-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CLK ALTERNATOR

just pull out the alternator and make visual check inside.

see if the bearing is damaged.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:52 AM

It sounds more like that the belt for your alt. is loose.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

For information alternator removal is not hard at all. It's one of the simplest jobs. WD40 probably would cause more problems than solve em on a belt or alternator. Ususally a squeaking noise when the engine is running is usually a loose belt. That squeak is an easy fix.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: CLK500KID
Hey guys,

I came up to a problem with my clk, i think the alt is bad, when i hit the lights on and off there is a big loud sound coming from the altenator housing, also a constant squeaking noise that can be heard at all time when the engine is on.

How hard is it to change the alt, also is there a way that i can spray a WD40 or something like stop belt squeaking spray or what should i do guys.

thanks
CLK
I would start by purchasing a new serpentine belt (sounds like you need this anyway) then when you have the old belt off, rotate the pulley on the Alternator and listen/feel for it spinning smooth and free. If it doesn't spin smooth and freely, then I'd remove it and see if you can get the bearings replaced (that's as long as the alt is still working good) or buy a new one.

hope this helps

Old 01-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Hey guys,

the thing is not squeking, its more of a humming noise, i checked the belt and it is in good condition. I have looked at the other pulleys and they seem not to be making the humming nosie. the other thing is that when i am at a stop light, the humming noise is a costitant beat. even when i rev the engine high the noise is at the same beat. then when i go to put on all the electronics int he car at the same time, the noise is still there, even with the engine interuption in rpm.

The system is still recharging since i have drove it like for a week now and its still the same.

So what should i look for, the bearing inside or the pully on the alternator, or something else

thanks,
Clk500kid

Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

if you remove the belt and run the engine, this noise is not present?

Old 01-04-2006, 01:22 AM

So i should take off the belt and then start the car. is that what you are trying to tell me sleepwalker? Will this cause a problem to my car or is it ok to do this for a minute?

Old 01-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

it's okay for up to two minutes. this will avoid overheating the engine.

while the belt is out, you must spin every pulleys where the belt goes and try to wiggle them. observe for any movement or noise.

if the noise is gone, then it must be from one of those belt driven component... but if the noise is still there, then it can be from the engine or others.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 AM

ok, ill try it out and let you know about it tomorrow.
thanks sleepwalker

Quick Reply: CLK ALTERNATOR