General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

'CHECK ENGINE LIGHT' FAILED TO COME ON

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Default 'CHECK ENGINE LIGHT' FAILED TO COME ON

I have 1995 C220 with 106000 miles on it. I just failed the smog test because the 'check engine light' doesn't come on (everything else comes on though). Suspecting it's the light bulb. On the other hand, when the MB shop replaced the entire dash board three years ago, they mistakenly touched the wires or bulb to cause the problem? The car has been parked in the garage for the past three years since brought back from the MB shop. I tried to start the car a few days ago, car didn't start due to crank position sensor problem. So I took the car to a nearest foreign Auto shop and had them replace the crank position sensor. Now starts and runs nicely. Another funny thing is that the dashboard light didn't come on first then came on a few hours later when driving at night. What do you think it would be?

1. just the engine light bulb happen to be out?
2. could cause the problem when the dashboard was replaced(mistakenly touched the wire or bulb?)
3. could cause the problem when the crank position sensor was replaced?.

Even dashboard light didn't come on when driving at night. Then came on few hours later when driving on the freeway.

If it is the light bulb, how difficult to replace the light bulb of the 'check engine light' or 'dashboard light' ?
Is it really costly to replace the light bulbs?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Default RE: 'CHECK ENGINE LIGHT' FAILED TO COME ON

Hi,
I assume you mean that the CEL bulb doesn't illuminate during the ignition on sequence. This would lead to a smog test fail.

It could be the bulb/LED in the cluster BUT this warning light CAN BE turned OFF in software. If you have had a new cluster fitted then maybe the new pack was not coded correctly. i.e. CEL OFF.

Not sure if your model has bulb or LED. ALL LED nowadays for reliability.

I'd go back to whoever fitted the cluster MB dealer and get them to correct it FOC! Since mileage must still be at near 0 or whatever the "new" mileage was set at when the new cluster was fitted you will be able to demonstrate that the car hasn't been used and has sat in your garage for the intervening years.

Just spotted your final sentence (wasn't showing on my preview pane)...

Then came ON few hours later when driving on the freeway.
So the warning light does illuminate!!

So what's your problem? The light is ON or OFF?
Light should be OFF whilst driving but come ON during "Ignition/Startup" sequence.
Maybe you will clarify your problem.

Stuart.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I called the MB shop and explained the situation. They said not sure they could fix the problem without costing it. Anyway, I made an apptnt next week. They were asking me why waited three years long with problems. I should 'd told them in the beginging. It was spent nearly $2500 to replace the instrument panel and knee bolster. The whole dash board light didn't come on until 2-3 hours later on top of 'check engine light' failure to light up. They even forgot to put a ignition ring back on place( where you put your key in). Not sure whether they accept the fault and fix it up for me or ask me to take care of the cost ot it. If a service advisor doesn't take care of it then I am thinking of talking to a service manager or GM. It seems like they didn't do a good job in the first place. At the end, I wasn't smart enough to correct the problem at once.

What do you think that they might react toward the problems?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM

Hi,

I still don't really understand what the problem is that you have....
"The whole dash board light didn't come on until 2-3 hours later on top of 'check engine light' failure to light up"

Whole dash board light? Please explain.
Has this problem rectified itself or does this happen every time you drive?

The garage will no doubt TRY to get YOU to pay for any time they spend fixing this.. YOU will have to show that they didn't do the job correctly when they charged you 2500 USD so the more you understand what is wrong the better you will be able to discuss this problem with them.

What was written on the invoice that the garage issued with the job?

At the end of the day it will be whether they are worried about their reputation and how you handle the problem with them.

If you share the whole story we may be able to help.

Why did the car need a new cluster and knee bolster? Service history. Why parked up etc. ??

Good luck.

Stuart

Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM

I meant the liglt that let you see those gages (speed domitor, gas indicator, etc) on the instrument board.
I drove two nights so far and it only happened the first night I drove out of the garage in three years.

Somebody broke into the car three years ago and made some damage on the dashboard and knee bolster.
So I fixed the problem through a insurance, of course I had take care of my deductable.

I really hope that MB dealer shop takes care of it as peacefully as possible.
I took the car to other MB shop before....but this San Francisco MB shop doesn't seem to do a good job despite of higher cost compare to other MB shops near by.

I really need to take care of the problem and pass the smog so that I could go ahead and re-register with DMV.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM

OK.
So the Check Engine light doesn't work even during the startup sequence.

In addition the instrument night time illumination doesn't work. The level of illumination can be adjusted. on some models from zero i.e. OFF.

Next step is to determine their reaction to your issue and to share the response from them if they don't accept responsibility.

We may be able to help by confirming their diagnosis etc.

Stuart