General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

C320 Issues & Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Default C320 Issues & Fixes

I own a 2002 C320 wagon w/about 43k miles.
So far, I love the car but I have just started to have issues w/it such as:

* power seat module - replaced but still screwing up
* power mirrors memory failing
* rattling/vibrating hatchback
* clunking suspension
* electrical motor running sound, coming from the area of the sunroof controls, even after 1 hour or more w/car off and no key in.

Have any of you experienced these issues in any of the C class vehicles produced 2000 - 2005? If so, please let me know what you think the best way to handle them/remedy the condition. I have a service appt. w/dealer next week. Its his time and part$, so please send advice.
Alan

Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C320 Issues & Fixes

most problem on seat module is draining current. what's yours?

mirror memory is erased if power goes below 8 volts. what's yours?

depends on rattling location. may needs adjustment.

suspension... it can be ball joint or stabilizer link.

the electrical motor sound is coming from the interior temperature sensor. it got a small fan on it blowing interior air to the sensor located on the middle of that fan. it is integrated with the OCP and cannot replace separately.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Sleepwalker,

Thanks for the prompt response.

The dealer just replaced my power seat module, power drain and caused battery to die, which was replaced free under warranty.

The mirror memory is something new that I noticed just after I picked up the car last week.

The rattling in hatch may very well be plastic. Hopefully it just needs adjustment.

The dealer has ordered me some lower control arms. You and several others have indicated that ball joints and stabilizer links often need replacing....so I gather these are fast wearing parts? Do you think I s/insist the dealer examine and replace these?

As for the electrical motor sound, this is new since pick up from dealer last week. Thanks for ID'ing this for me. Now, the question is, what is the OCP and is that something that should be replaced? I have to assume this is not a normal condition for colder weather and for not having the engine on for hours.
Please advise w/respect to this OCP matter as to what the proper fix is.

Thanks for your assistance,
Alan

Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 PM

usualy the thrust arm bushings will crack, the sway bar mounts get dirt under them- mb has updated parts, and the sway bar mounts have been updated as well. hardly ever see faulty ball joints on 203 cars.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions.

I just picked up the car and this is what was replaced:
* The entire OCP due to aspirator fan problems
* R&R swaybar links
* R&I both front struts and control arms. Pressed new bushings in control arm. This included a torsion rod? (What exactly is this, not a swaybar???)

Interestingly however, was the fact that the dealer claimed there was nothing wrong w/the rear suspension or hatch. I still hear some creaking, but it sounds more like plastic rubbing.

I still have 1 1/2 months left on the warranty. Any suggestions as to what else I should have them examine or possibly replace?
Are the rear shocks starting to go when you hear a squishing type of sound upon pushing down on the rear bumper? OR is this a normal sound? It does not seem correct.

Thanks again for your support.
Alan