General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

C230K Sportscoupé - SLOW? LIMP MODE? LIMITCONTROL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Default C230K Sportscoupé - SLOW? LIMP MODE? LIMITCONTROL?

My c230 all of a sudden became very very slow today, the speedlimit device dont work all of a sudden either. Last week i changed the brakes i dont know if it has anything to do with it.

But its like the car is in some kind of "backup" or "limp mode" if there is such a thing? - Anyone know what this can be? all help is great!

Anyways the car shift gear as normal and is NOT stuck in 1st or 2nd gear (its a auto gear) - But when i try to turn on the "speed limiter" to lets say 50mph it says a laud BIP and the display says: STEPTRONIC CTRL somthing and contack workshop....

Thank you all very much!

Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Default RE: C230K Sportscoupé - SLOW? LIMP MODE? LIMITCONTROL?

Hi,
STEPTRONIC CTRL What please???? Any extra words may help refine the problem.
Your speed control device needs roadspeed input to operate. This is achieved thru sensors at the road wheels. Could you have damaged the wires to the sensors when you changed the brakes?
Got any other faults like ASR, ABS displaying since these use the same speed inputs.
Stuart.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:44 AM

It says STEPTRONIC CTRL / VIST WORKSHOP

I went to mercedes today, they did a 4 hour check on the car, and could NOT find the problem.... but when i touched on of the wires that goes to the brakes ( SENSOR ? ) then the fault all of a sudden went away.... perhaps it has something to do with this?

Engine lamp is not on, actually no lamp is on, everything seems to work fine, but engine is slow and when you turn on the "limiter" it says FAULT.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 AM

Hi,
Thanks for reply.
It looks as though the sensor wire has been damaged or is not correctly connected. When you say you touched the wire presumably you mean at just one corner of the car. i.e. Front Left corner.
Did you have the wheel off?
What wire are we talking about? Any chance of a photo?
There are two wires. The brake pad wear sensor and the hub speed sensor. The brake pad wear sensor goes to the pad. The speed sensor into the centre of the hub.
If touching the wear sensor cures the problem this doesn't make sense.
Can you confirm which wire, whether it is the connector, the sensor attachment to the hub or the wire.
Once you have done this you will know what to do.
Looks like the sensor wire may have been stretched or similar.
Did you remove the calipers when you did the pad change? If you did there is no need to.

Stuart