General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

C200K engine light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Default C200K engine light problem

Hi all I am new to the forum - I have a 52 reg C200K bought from new with 34 k on clock - MB have just about changed every part to do with Ignition- emission and injection over a 5 week period - no I am told that there may be a problem with the valves etc- apparently there is a known problem with c class engines and the valves causing the engine light to intermittenly come on /off which sometimes affects the engine and it runs lumpy -
anyone else had this problem - I believe it is not the valves and some other electro fault any ideas anyone -
given the cost for this I have asked MB about there so called 30 year warranty built on a sliding scale- they declined to comment.
Help

Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Default RE: C200K engine light problem

Hi,
I understand that the CEL (Check Engine Light) came on. Presumably MB cancelled this when they replaced parts but the light has come on again. Can you state what the conditions were when the light came on again?
Additional information is available from the OBD.
What codes were showing on the OBD (On Board Computer) and what exactly did MB change and why?
In addition what information was in the flash memory. This states the exact conditions prevailing when the CEL was turned on. Speed, Revs, Throttle position, manifold depression etc.

A mechanical problem (eg Valves) does not fit comfortably with an intermittent type problem.
Subject to your reply lets see if we can see what MB may have missed.
What part of the UK are you from. i.e. which dealer?
Stuart

Old 04-24-2006, 03:33 AM
Default RE: C200K engine light problem

car needs a cylinder head, valves wont fix it, valve springs wont fix it, the guides are worn out in the head causing the valve to stick open leaking compression and causing misfire, reuse the springs and valves unless theres obvious problems, just lap the valves in and ship it.