General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Biggest noob question ever: How do you remove the front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Default Biggest noob question ever: How do you remove the front wheels?

I just recently got a 2000 C280 and need to change the brakes. I removed all five lug screws but the wheel won't come off. I popped off the center cap and there is this big round-ish white thing under there.

How do I get the wheel off? I'm ashamed to ask, but it's getting dark and I need to get to work tomorrow!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Default RE: Biggest noob question ever: How do you remove the front wheels?

which wheel are we talking about here? all of them? front two? rear two?

Old 06-13-2006, 11:10 PM

I tried to remove the front passenger side wheel. (The car did not come with a manual, by the way!) I removed all five lug bolts but the wheel won't budge. I popped of the star centerpiece but it just looks like a dust cover in there. There is a little tool in the toolbag that is about 5 inches long and threaded on one side and the thread fits where the lug bolts go in... but that doesn't seem to be a solution... I have no idea what is holding the wheel there!!!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 PM

does it still rotate properly?

Old 06-13-2006, 11:23 PM

Yeah. Strangest thing. The wheel still turns fine and I tried pushing and pulling on the tire to knock it loose. It definitely feels like something is holding it on still. I guess I'm wondering if there is a step that I missed or if it's just stuck and needs some convincing!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:27 AM

Hi,
If you have removed the 5 lug bolts and the wheel won't come off it must be corroded to the hub. This is not unusual. Nothing else other trhan corrosion is holding the wheel.

The big nut behind the centre motif has nothing to do with taking the wheel off. I wonder how you got the centre motifs off without damaging them?

The wheel just needs to be "wiggled" with increasing violence until it coimes off ensuring you don't pull the car off the jack!!

If you are really stuck you could put the bolts back. Tighten them but then back them off a turn or two so that the are LOOSE. Then drive the car a FEW FEET forwards or backwards up your drive to break the seal between the wheel and the hub. Then have another go at removing the wheel.

Warning: Only carry out this procedure if you feel confident!

When you reassemble the wheel to the hub try putting some copperslip or similar anti sieze compond on the surface where the corrosion was holding the wheel.

The tool you found in the tool kit is to help you refit the wheel. It helps align the lug bolt hole and the holes in the wheel.

Stuart

Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 AM

It's difficult to remove the wheels once you fit in the tires. It's a must to first have a fitment test before the tires are mounted to make sure that you have the right components at hand.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:32 AM

Ksteak,
As SNANKCEKI says, your alloy wheels are stuck to the steel hubs, by corrosion.
The easiest is to remove the bolts, on one wheel at a time and then GENTLY let the jack down, so that the weight of the car
breaks the corrosion joint.
In future always put a very thin smear of copperslip on the jointing faces between the alloy wheel and steel hub. Not too much !!!
Even M-B franchise garages seem to miss out the copperslip when refitting alloy wheels, so I am not surprised
yours were stuck.
It is generally good practice to use a very small amount of copper slip on any bolt/joint you may later need to take apart (eg spark plugs threads).

Allan

Old 06-14-2006, 08:25 AM

Hi,
Strangely MB UK state not to use copperslip or similar on such surfaces ESPECIALLY lug bolts. The reason for this is that it invalidates the published torque settings for the lug bolts. Lower torque required with lubrication vs dry.
Mind you I do and I always torque my bolts to ensure uniformity (and to ensure I can get them off if I have a puncture).
Stuart

Old 06-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

i always give it a good kick.

it simply drops off.