General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

BIG Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Default BIG Problem!!

I have just put a 123 series engine into a 124 Big mistake ,had loads of little ****ly differences ,between the two engines .I have just cam across the biggest by far .There is a sensor in the rear left of the engine block just above the starter & no drilling in the 123 block for it to go into .Can anyone tell me what it is .I'm thinking if its a knock sensor ,I could maybe do without it .I have a feeling it may be something more important though .Any suggestions greatly appreciated .
Thanks for looking Steve

Old 02-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BIG Problem!!

it's just a crankshaft position sensor. it senses the top dead center of cylinder #1 and send signal to the ignition unit for firing.

in 123, it is done via the ignition distributor but in 124, it must be with the segment on the flywheel.

even if you drill a hole and insert the crankshaft position sensor...how about the flywheel where it's going to get the hall sensor effect?

just remove the igniton module from the 123 body and rewire it so that you can get sparks.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Hi Thanks sleepwalker . You read my mind i WAS thinking of drilling a hole in the block .I changed the flexplate/ring gear assembly ,so there wont be a problem with a pick up on the flkywheel for the signal .I am more concerned about getting it in exactly the right place if it is related to timing .
I thought it may be a RPM sensor for the guage as ,this is mentioned as a position for that sensor in the mitchell manual for diesels .Why does it only sense No1 TDC ?
Thanks for your help Steve

Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Yor spot on sorry for doubting you
I have just looked at the old distibutor &the lead fits into the same plug on the ignition module .Do you think it should be ok .It may be worth a try any way .Didnt really want to go drilling holes in the block .

Old 02-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

sensor in the mitchell manual for diesels
DIESEL?
it has no refference signal so it has to get from separate source.

in gasoline engine, no matter where you get the signal, the rpm sensor can always take from the negative side of the ignition coil (trigger).

Why does it only sense No1 TDC
i didn't say ONLY.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM

I now have most things in place ready to start .I tried today just before it started to get dark & I have a spark so the original worry i had has been resloved .My next problem is ,I did'nt strip this engine and am unsure of vacuum pipe routing also i have one or two elec connectors without homes !I was getting a spark but no fuel to distibutor ,also no sound of fuel pump .Where is the feed to the pump switched ?
Thanks again Steve

Old 02-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

your VIN?

from fuel pump relay.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:42 AM

Hi my VIN nO IS wdb1240831f043902

Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

on the firewall you will see the fuel pump relay.

check if it has power and bridge if the pump works.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/32E0C672B7114DC79B42A47845F52C90.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks really appreciate your time, if i bridge the pins you mention should the pump run ?I cant read amps at moment with my multi meter as my good one is broken & I have a cheap one that doesnt read amps . A new multimeter is on my shopping list !
I will try what i can .I have a feeling i have some plugs in wrong places around the inlet manifold area also not sure of vacuum pipe routing ,as i did'nt strip this car ,someone else did so it has been a bit of a challenge .It is probably just one plug in wrong place on the manifold somewhere .There are a few plugs ,that have the same connectors & can go in alternating positions .I could really do with a wiring diagram so i can check colours of cables in relation to sensors & switches etc .I am going to look in mitchell CD for location of pump relay as i cant see any relays on firewall
Thanks again Steve

Quick Reply: BIG Problem!!