General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Alternator help/Battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Default Alternator help/Battery discharge

240D, a '74, has a constant discharge problem. I was told it was the alternator, and I took the old one off, and put on a new reman Bosch. I also found the old belt was shot, so replaced it as well. Everything is now functioning as it should - belt tight, alternator hooked back up...however, at the battery terminals, I'm still reading 11.96v....in my limited knowledge, that means I'm still not getting power from the alternator to the battery. What is my malfunction (aside from ignorance)?

Second question - the fuses on my car, which several sets of which are exposed, are in a curious type of fuse holder...I don't think fuse box is an appropriate term. Some sort of brackets. Anyway, what would these be called, if I were to find replacement brackets?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Default One down, one to go.

The alternator problem is solved - not by me, but by my ever-more-trusted mechanic. He hopped in, turned on the ignition, saw the battery light was out. Then, pulled out the console, popped in a new light, and voila, the alternator started to work. I love it when people know what they're doing. He also changed the shifter bushing on the tranny, and now, my park break works (not e-brake, the one in the transmission).

I did, however, forget to ask him the second question on this post, so if you know the answer, let me know it too.