General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

89 190e fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Default 89 190e fuel issue?

at first when i bought my benz it had a hard time starting in the cold.....
now however it either has developed into a bigger problem or it has another problem
it doesnt want to start at all now,
ive managed to get it to start by adjusting the gas cable on the carb side
it runs at 2000rpms just to keep it running, anything less and it will stall
thru my own febile troubleshooting i have noticed that if i disconnect my fuel line from the fuel distributer
it will shoot out from the hood with the key engaged
but when its connected to the fuel distributer and i disconnect one of the lines leading to the injector, it just dribbles out
is my fuel distributor glogged or is that the way its supposed to be? if it is clogged how can i unclog it.......?????
any and all help is appreciated

thanks

Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Default RE: 89 190e fuel issue?

Obviously you may have multiple problems:

If the car is not starting but cranking ok, I would first check the Ignition Spark - You can do this by Pulling the ignition wire from one spark plug, Connecting it to a "known good" spare spark plug (or spark tester). Hold the spark plug thread to engine ground (preferably with insulated pliers or equivelant to avoid getting shocked) and have someone crank the engine.

Spark should be present between the electrodes of the spark plug.

If that's ok ... move onto the Fuel System.

When you say the Fuel "just dribbles out", do you mean when you are cranking the engine you don't see a spray just a dribble ??

post back the results and we'll go from there.

Cheers

Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM

plugs, distributer cap, rotor, etc have been changed

dribbles, as in oozes, as in less than a leaky faucet
yes i have cranked the engine with the injector hose disconnected from the fuel distributer and it just dribbles out.....
but when i crank the engine with the main fuel hose disconnected it shoots a few feet out of the hood, so im assuming the fuel pump is fine

Old 07-21-2005, 11:24 PM

By any chance is your abs light staying on after you start it?

Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 AM

The first thing to do..... is to NEVER assume.

It sounds to me like you are saying, because all of those components were replaced that you have spark. Many and I say MANY people get into trouble because they "think" because components were replaced, that they "automagically" must be working. Next time AND every time, Verify that it IS actually working. It will help you in the future. Sorry to sound so stearn about this but I've seen it happen way too many times not to mention it (may help someone else even someday).

Your problem sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay:

The fuel pump relay controls various functions of the CIS-E system such as fuel pump operation, maximum engine speed limitation, oxygen sensor heater supply voltage, cold start valve activation, transmission (automatic) kickdown cutoff, and fuel pump cutoff in the event of an interruption of the ignition signal (TD) to the fuel pump relay. An input from the ignition control unit provides a TD signal which energizes the fuel pump relay during starting or with the engine running. The fuel pump relay is also activated briefly when the ignition is turned to the run (ON) position. If no TD signal is received or the engine reaches maximum RPM limits the fuel pump relay will then switch the pumps off.

Cold start valve activation depends on coolant temperature and cranking speed signal. Voltage supply is via the fuel pump relay. The length of time during which the starting valve injects fuel is dependent on the coolant temperature. If the engine starts before the cold start valve completes its cycle, cold start injection is cancelled.
If the fuel pump relay receives a certain frequency signal corresponding to the maximum engine RPM, the contact between circuit 30 and 87 is interrupted and the fuel pumps are turned off. Activation for the A/T kickdown solenoid valve is routed via the fuel pump relay. The circuit to the kickdown solenoid valve is interrupted approx. 200 RPM prior to maximum engine RPM cut-out and the transmission shifts to the next gear. This will assure that shifting occurs prior to maximum engine RPM cutout.

Hope this helps

Let us know what you find

Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 PM

i will double check the spark

as for the relay, i have replaced it already
ive checked to ensure that the cold start valve is working on startup, it has a good spray to it
as ive said the fuel shoots out of the main hose with no problem and i can here the fuel pump engage

and no my abs light is not on