General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

87 560SL air conditioner problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Default 87 560SL air conditioner problems

I have a 1987 Model 560SL. the only way to get the air cond. to work is to turn on defrost button first and fan on high speed. Then push ac button and will work for a while and then shuts off. Low speed fan won't work. You wait a few or quite a few minutes and push def and starts up again. Temp wheel works good and blows plenty of cold air, just had it charged. Any ideas?? Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM

I had that same problem... I pulled the faceplate loose around the climate control unit and pulled the unit loose while still leaving it wired in. I found that if I grabbed it in a certain place and squeezed I could get the a/c to start working so I decided it was a short or a bad circuit board in the unit. I replaced the unit with one that I pulled out of an old car... it is faulty too but I only have to resort to turning on the defrost sometimes, and once I get the a/c running it will stay running normally. Considering the price of a new unit I'm content to leave things as they stand for the time being.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Default Rudolph

I have the same exact problem. If I turn the defrost on forst then the Ac will work find. I'll just leave everything as it is. Thanks
Steve

Originally Posted by Rudolph'sLegacy
I had that same problem... I pulled the faceplate loose around the climate control unit and pulled the unit loose while still leaving it wired in. I found that if I grabbed it in a certain place and squeezed I could get the a/c to start working so I decided it was a short or a bad circuit board in the unit. I replaced the unit with one that I pulled out of an old car... it is faulty too but I only have to resort to turning on the defrost sometimes, and once I get the a/c running it will stay running normally. Considering the price of a new unit I'm content to leave things as they stand for the time being.