General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

'75 450sl roadster - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Default '75 450sl roadster - need help!

...with my '75 450sl Roadster

Can't figure out radio/speaker wiring. Looked EVERYWHERE on the web for answers, but to no avail!
Can anyone help with some info., or site addresses? I would like to try to repair/replace my Blauplunkt.
Would be most appreciative...

Also, can anyone tell me where the soft top is stored. I was told it has one but don't know where to look. It
isn't behind the seats where the speakers are, like I thought it would be.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Default RE: '75 450sl roadster - need help!

Remove the glove compartment, from the front speakers you should see an odd, (German design) plug, it will have round prongs. As for the power, you will need to take out the radio. If it is the OEM, you need to get a shop manual from Mercedes, as most of that part of the dash has to be taken out.
The power plug is also one of those odd german design round prong plugs. All of these wires should be black in color. I don't know if rear speakers were offered. I think not as the shop manual doesn't mention anything about them.

When I bought my 79 450SLC, it had a aftermarket Sony radio with added rear speakers and a amp in the trunk. The person I bought it from likes classical music and the 3 way rear speakers on the rear hat shelf, IMHO have amazing bass and treble response. But he chickened wired the system, the install looks good, but it took me a while to tighten loose connection, redo splices. Also, he grounded the rear speakers to the body. Oddly on the amp it says DO NOT GROUND SPEAKERS. as the amp is the ground for them. I replaced the front speakers, and used a "thicker" gauge wire to hook them up. As she had thin wire which made the balance between front and rear horrible. The thicker guage wires made a big difference.

I hope this helps. There are some online sources for used shop manual, you need the shop manual that covers removal body parts, electrical sytem interior and exterior. These cars have at least 4 manuals. I think there is a fifth one, but I haven't really checked into it.

Question for you. Your car has version 1 heat and AC? That is the manual system? Or do U have version 2 with the beloved servo ACC set up? If you have version 2 how does it work, or does it work at all?

Send me a PM and I'll get the exact name and number of the shop manual U need. See My profile for my email.

I asked him where the original radio was, he chucked it????? It was a Becker. Becker has a program in which you send them your "antique" radio and they will fix it for a "reasonable" charge.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Default RE: '75 450sl roadster - need help!

I'm not sure what a/c system I have, but it works well runs very quietly! There are two ***** on the dash panel that I adjust it with.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 PM

How do I remove the spark plug wire covers over the spark plugs without damaging them? I want to pull and inspect the plugs but I am afraid to pull too hard on the metal covers over the plugs.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Hmm, 2009 messages? Wonder how it gets! I got mine '71 450SL for just some months ago.. The plug covers went of very easily on my car. Just twiggle it a bit on the sides and at the same time pulling... If destroid, -I bought a complete set from www.swedishparts.net and got it delivered almost the day after! Here in Norway, the parts cost a fortune, but happily, I got some friends "over there" that can help me out!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 PM

Hi, I just got an 450SL 1971. I bought it without AC, but it got all the compressor, vopourizer and all anyway. Where should I look to get it working? There is an broken temperature swich inside the cockpit (a small hollow wire filled with gas? that is broken - cost an furtune on the "www.swedishparts.net). But is that all? The condenser got a wire broken off, and I should rebuilt the AC to a modern gas, shouldnt I? Give me some hint, please, and I'm pretty handy, I can do everything by myselfe....