General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

300 SE overheating ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Default 300 SE overheating ??

Ive come across another problem if any 1 can help me , yet again !!!
i left my 300 SE mercedes running in the driveway under the covers ( for the winter ) cold climates we have been having here till next spring 2006! i been told since im to leave it standing out there, i ought to start it up once in a while, - to get the engine circulating!

i been soo stupid i left it started for 45 mins-by the time i quickly went running back to the car, i found the temperature gauge over the 100 C mark, and the fan was circulating fast to cool the engine down! ever since then (2 days ago) i randomly started up the car to see how stable the engine temperature stays, usually the temp is under the 80 C mark,but this time , i have noticed since i left the car running it rises above the 80 c mark!......am i just being paranoid, that its begining to overheat, or is this normal aswell ???

Just like all car lovers ......ive kept my mercedes really well, and a odd 1 mistake could ruin my car- which i really dont want ! ....
can some 1 help me here ???? would there be any symptoms to indicate that any part of the cooling system or let alone something may need replacing ??

Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 300 SE overheating ??

It's normal for the car to go over the 80.But the reason that it is rising a little quicker is because you probably overworked the coolant. Don't feel bad it happened to me too in a way. I stopped by a friend house to say good -bye, left the car running intending to be out in less than a second, but that second turned into minutes which turned into around 45 minutes to realize i left the car running. car temp gauge was higher than normal and the fact it was hot outside didn't help. Luckily no harm was done.

Now, you don't have to worry unless it goes into the red and beyond then that's trouble. Relax, you didn't ruin ya car. Just try replacing ya coolant just in case (hopefully ya using the Mercedes Anticorrsive Antifreeze. (Yellow in color))

Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 PM

That episode with the temp rising didn't cause any damage. BUT...

DO NOT start the car every few days to "get the engine circulating." That's the worst thing you can do to a car in storage.

Excessive idling is damaging to the engine and exhaust system.

Starting the car without getting it heat soaked will cause corrosives to build up in the oil.

Your battery will soon be dead.

It's best not to start the car. Keep the battery charged with a battery charge manager. Change the oil and filter before storing so you don't store it with contaminants in the oil. Fill the gas tank to inhibit condensation. If you live where there are critters running around, stuff a rag into the exhaust pipe and the air intake opening to prevent nesting.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 AM

thanks Blackwolf ! ....i guess thats of great help i really did get worried!

Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 AM

thanks lugnut! ill do just that... oh on the subject of the battery i noticed a while back since its been storage, when i started it up at 1 time, the battery light displayed yellow. usually u get 2 battery light displays 1 under the red light and the other 1 with the yellow light with a zig zag on the underside of the battery icon.The red light battery icon usualy disappears - as a battery check with the oil light, but the yellow 1 stayed on,even when i kept the car running!.....eventually when i left it still running for 5-6 mins it disappeared- since i had that incident on leaving the car running it has`nt appeared since, may be it was low on charge ????