General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1994 e320 check enegine light please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Default 1994 e320 check enegine light please help!

I took my car to mb dealership three times for the check enegine light over a six month period each time the error they said was a kick down cable and that it needed to be replaced so they first time we replaced it and then one month later the check enegine light comes on again and the say the same error code kick down cable needs to be adjusted so they adjust then again the check enegine light comes on meanwhile we are driving the car with out any problems. Now the check enegine light is on again they say it is the same kick down cable on tuesday now thursday comes and they say we need a brand new transmission due to internal errors. Im not sure if all along they were telling me they wrong thing or if the transmission really went out. Please help! mb dealer wants 7500 parts and labor for a new transmission!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Default RE: 1994 e320 check enegine light please help!

What were the specific codes they gave you? After each service, were the codes cleared? Call the dealer if you don't have the codes; at the very least you need a second opinion, big time.

Bob

Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 PM

See my otherreply.

NB. If the cable has been changed 3 times what was physically wrong with it?
Snapped, Too long.??
Both these failures would suggest that something is causing the cable to break. You need to find out why.
Maybe therewas NOTHING wrong with the displaced cable!
Basically they just reset the CEL and all was OK till the next event.
Maybe it's an adjustment issue although I'm not sure whether any adjustment is availble on this cable. Although I would expect there to be.

Stuart

I have just read that you car has covered 200k miles. This somewhat alters the likely hood of an internal issue. My previous comments remain valid however.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:42 PM

they said the code was 026 downshift delay when we took it in the first time and now it is coming up with the code today and the mb dealersaid orginally the kick down cable was broken so we fixed and each time it was adjusted the light would go off then come back on.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 AM

So therewas nothing wrong with the cable. They just adjusted it. Presumably thereis a "special" way of adjusting this cable to ensure correct adjustment and avoid breaking something inside the box.

Are YOU happy with the gearchange performance during overtake, sudden acceleration etc?

I'll do a bit more research on this issue.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with pre OBDII code numbers.

Stuart

Old 06-23-2007, 01:33 AM

thanks stuart! the work order says they performed short test error code was transmission upshift delay performed electrical test switch over valve was ok performed vac test and transmission module ok says the adjust shift cable as much as possible then says transmission skips 2 gear/ shift from 1st to second transmission worn out & it will turn off check enegine light needs new transmission cust delined. that is what the notes are from today! when i spoke with service director he says they were probably mis diagnosis all along then the notes from 3/30/07 adjusted upshift delay valve and erased fault codes also adjusted kick down cable then are visit on 1/15/07 said performed short test found code 026 replaced kick down cable due to rupture then on 11/10/06 says performed short test found code 026 in dm performed test of upshift delay systems found rupture cust decline

Old 06-23-2007, 02:10 AM

Hi Candgurl.

My reading of the situation.

Looks as though the 2nd gear brake band is worn out which means a trans rebuild or replace. i.e. you don't have second gear. At 200k miles I don't think this is an unreasonable failure since the brake bands which control the gears are components that wear during operation. 2nd gear band is the one doing the most work.

Appears as though the CEL was extinguished due to memory reset rather than a "fix" by thedealer.

The kickdown cable adjust was possibly not required and led to the cable failures due to incorrect adjust procedure.

If the car still drives OK I guess you could get them to override the CEL but this won't really achieve anything other than reduce yourbank balance since you will have trouble at the annual vehicle inspection since the authorities will fail th ecar for the CEL being "inoperative".

Guess you will have to decide whether to repair or purchase a different vehicle. That is exactly what the annual inspection is intended to do when a fault of this sort is encountered.

Stuart