General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1989 190E Water Pump Replacement - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Default 1989 190E Water Pump Replacement - HELP

My '89 190E 2.6 water pump has gone bad and I am at wit's end on the amount of time it has taken me to even have some idea of how to replace it... I have read many threads on the pains and anguish of us non-professionals trying to do the job and I'm starting to understand why....
I have removed the fan shroud, serpentine belt, and waterpump pulley as required from another thread..... I have somehow managed to locate and remove 2 bolts on the right side of the pump,... I have removed the hex bolt on top next to the thermostat housing, using a #6 metric allen wrench tool,... I absolutely can't see any other anything because of the power steering and belt tensioner blocking my view ?
It's so dang tight in there that I can't even tell how to get those off or if I should ??
My biggest fear is that there is one more bolt on the left side that some other jackleg sheered off and just put some kind of adheisive on the gasket so the other 3 bolts would possibly keep it from leaking ??
The pump is loose cause I banged it loose with a couple of taps of a hammer, but it will NOT come out ? I guess my question is, assuming there is just a stud left in the bottom left bolt area which is not allowing me to pull the pump out,... how do I remove the power steering unit and how do you remove the belt tensioner ?
I'm scared to death that I'm gonna have to drill out the broken bolt and set a new thread when there isn't any room to work ?
Any help here would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks,
Padge

Old 08-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Default RE: 1989 190E Water Pump Replacement - HELP

OK,.. I've beat the support here and bitten the bullet....
Here's how I finally got the pump off....
1. you can NOT reach the lower left bolt without dropping the belt tensioner !

So,.... after having initially removed fan shroud and serpentine belt and 3 visible water pump bolts ( top left, top right, and bottom right ).....

1. Removed the front bumper so I could unbolt the AC evaporator from the radiator
to remove the radiator so there was actually some room to work.
2. Removed fan blade - 3 nuts
2. Removed both Water Pump belt wheel and Power Steering belt wheel.
3. Removed ALL bolts holding belt tensioner and power steering units.
4. Moved power steering unit out of the way.
5. Removed belt tensioner front bold ( 19mm ) then pushed it down enough to be
able to get 13mm socket on last bolt.

Now, if I can only remember where all the pieces and parts go back, all will be OK !

Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Default Waterpump Problems

I have called around different shops to replace my waterpump in my 1989 Mercedes 190. The cost was $900-$1000. Trying to do it myself because I don't have that kind of money. I was also told I need a new belt tensioner shock if I do it myself. Is this really necessary and how would I know if I did need a new one. Believe me, if I had and extra $1000, it would be in the shop today. The weather is raining and cold and I'm just about going nuts. Plus, I really don't even know where to begin, but I need my car badly. Then I was told that the 190 used two different waterpumps. You have to bring it in to parts so they can order me one which usually takes 3-5 days.

Last edited by SteveStack; 03-15-2009 at 08:08 AM.