General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1977 300D with broken hood pull tab :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Default 1977 300D with broken hood pull tab :(

<DIV>Hi everyone.. I discovered my battery went dead during a period of inactivity this winter when I wasn't driving my 1977 300D. Sad to say, I was too much in a rush to "fix" the problem and get the battery charged again, and I pulled the plastic pull tab with such force that it snapped . Now I have two problems, since I can't drive out the car to get this pull tab problem looked at, and my battery is still dead.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What should I do? - is there any way to still get the hood open again? For the better part of the last while I tried to epoxy the broken pull tab back together and it'll take some time to set, but in case that bond isn't strong enough to keep things together..</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I tried pressing down on the trunk to close it, but oddly enough, it doesn't seem to want to close the full way again, even after I tried to "refresh" the situation by pulling on the release latch on the driver's side left hand side. The tab appears to be permanently "pulled out", and yet the hood does not open? I reached underneath with work gloves and tried to tug upwards gently but it won't budge, so I left it at that and am now posting here .</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Any ideas? I'm really puzzled and frustrated about this. THanks a lot in advance.</DIV>

Old 01-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Default 1977 300D with broken hood pull tab :(

<DIV>Okay, I should update that this now has been fixed... the pull tab thing anyway, someone helped me figure out how to use a coat hanger to temporarily get the hood open. But now I'm confronted with another problem: battery seems dead, I'm quite sure of it, but when I hook it up to charge -- charger shows it as full?? Why does it do this? Will it charge at all or will this damage the battery? </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks.</DIV>