General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

190E difficulty in starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Default 190E difficulty in starting

Recently I started to have difficulty in starting my 190E. The engine would start, and in the next instance stop. It seems to be ok if i depress the accelerator as the engine catches. I have tried leavig the ignition key at position 2 for a while (just before cranking), but it does not seem to work. It is a 1.8l injection engine (1990). The battery is 1.5 years old, and I wonder if this could be the problem.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Default RE: 190E difficulty in starting

Hi!!!

I have a 94' E420...and have the exact same problem. I guess it's because of the gas that you put in... For my car...I experienced the problem right after I switched from 91 Shell to 91 prem. of 76. My car never had that problem before.. until last week...when I decided to empty Shell and went for 76.

My engine ran really smooth before...even when my friend stepped up to 135 MPH on the way to Vegas. BUT!!! after the 76 gas...my car wont start...and went it started...it stop at the STOP sign or whenever I made a complete stop... It also cranked when I try to start ...To keep the engine running...I have to have to step on the accelerator immed. after I get it to start... My friend told me it's the RPM...because when I looked at the RPM..it was really unstable...it and the "oil meter" bounded up and down...right before the engine shut down...

DO you have the same problem???

I justed empty 76 and go back to 91 SHELL...and it seems OK now...

TELL Me what happen with your car now??? I meant...please update me with New Info.

I used to have a 91' 190E 6cyc. So, maybe I can help you with something...

GOOD LUCK!!!

-Long

Old 05-24-2004, 11:32 PM

how about check the air leak under the fuel distributor and the idle air control. fuel distributor is most commen in this kind of years.
just a tips only......[8D]dont be[:@]

Old 05-26-2004, 09:51 AM

there is a temperature sensor on the top of the engine- same is responsible for a smooth decrease of RPM during start. If you refemember they first go up and then down to idle in a few seconds. If the sensor does not work properly the engine will stop after number of revolutions will goes down.
Probably a problem is a bit larger that I expect -then a check of so called start injector is required

Old 05-26-2004, 09:58 AM

you have totally different system compare ц babyb benz. it has KE Jetronic and you have LH Electronic.
Probably it is just mud in you tank -presume no one clean same since 1994!

Old 05-26-2004, 03:35 PM

To: Nightfly

I used to have a 91' 190E 6cycl. and it did not have the same problem that "tsjcsl" experienced...Furthermore, it has less sensors than my current 94' E420.

So, which sensors are you talking about? Can you please tell me? Because there are so many sensors on mercedes... and you said that "Probably it is just mud in you tank -presume no one clean same since 1994!" ...GEE!!! that sounds really bad...I'm kinda scared now...But so, far after I switched back to SHELL 91...Now, it seems OK ... I guess..the lesson here is that...don't try to switch from one gas to another.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:00 AM

If everything seem 2b ok now you don't have to worry. Just enjoy yr Merzo!
If problem appears again- which is highly unlikely- then I'll try to dig out something in our Russian MB Forum. Probably it is still dirty tank- this is common for Russia at least. The gasoline is so different from one pump to another. Especially if you leave Moscow- wowww! That's why I'm using one station for at least one year. And my C240 feels well!
Good Luck 2u

Old 06-23-2004, 01:17 PM

I think I have solved the problem. Besides having difficulty in starting, there was also a high pitched whining noise when driving. The workshp said it was a faulty fuel pump, and changed it (together with a filter of some sort). The noise went away, starting was instantaneous, and fuel efficiency went up too. But it did cost me quite some $$$

Old 03-30-2006, 02:15 PM

hey this is bullet proof check your fuse that's inside your engine compartment behind your battery, it sets inside one of your relays. then go over to the opposit side and check behind your main fuses box which house all your fuses. it's a main relay which controls your fuel comsumtion check those then hit me back.