Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, lighting effects and other exterior mods here.

My Xenon lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Default My Xenon lights

My hed lights on my car don't seem very bright.. I've got a pair of xenon lights year 2002 though don't seem as bright as some other cars. e.g. the Range rover. I thought this was something to do with the height of the car as I use to drive a toyota MRS. However I drove pass another E class same age as mine and his lights seems so much brighter then mine. I kept the lights really clean so it can't be the dirty thats on the lights. I'm guessing its something to do with the bulb in the head lights. Am I right?

I've checked on ebay and there are hundreds of bulbs for sale. Though I wouldn'twhere to start looking to check my car. Can someone explain what the H4 H5 and H7 means. As I'm not too sure myself. Can someone enlighten me about this lights business.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Default RE: My Xenon lights

not all HID headlights put out same bright light. it all comes down to manufacturer tolerances and design. by now, there are approx 4 main bulb designs for HID, not to mention bulb temperature. the fad is to buy a blueish bulb...even though this can be 30% less bright. the design of the light assembly is important. with OEM HIDs there is the reflector design and the projector design. but with the projector design there is the important projector bowl, as well as the projector lens....which focuses the beam of light. some are far better than others. so if you're comparing HIDs, it's not something so simple as bulb swapping. would that it be so easy. in reality, it may be the manuf of the projector (or reflector) and the design of the housing.

if you have a 2002 MB, it may be a reflector design. newer MB may be of projector design. etc etc etc.

H4, H5, H7 H1, H3 9xxx all describe bulb type/mount and are never HID. these are all halogen...even some which are Xenon, some Krypton and are traditional incandescent bulbs...with filaments. HIDs do not have filament and arc across a gap, thereby producing the light.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ts/lights.html