Go Back  Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Diesel Performance
Reload this Page >

Questions about door speakers for a 300D and a chip for a turbo diesel...

Diesel Performance A discussion section for performance diesel modifications.

Questions about door speakers for a 300D and a chip for a turbo diesel...

Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Default Questions about door speakers for a 300D and a chip for a turbo diesel...

I just purchased my '84 300D Turbo Diesel yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. I just have a few questions about some upgrades I'm thinking about.

First, I just installed an aftermarket head unit and new dash and rear window sill speakers because the factory system was shot. I used the exact sizes so it still looks factory. It sounds good, but is still a little tinny and not where I want it to be. I'm planning on installing an amp to help the speakers out, but I still don't think it will be enough to provide some nice bass. I'm thinking about installing door speakers in the front and was wondering which ones are best? I know that the door is thin and that the window makes for very little space, so I'm assuming shallow mounts are my only option. Any suggestions on the type and size?

Also, I've heard its possible to install a chip on these engines that greatly increases performance and gas mileage. Anyone know anything about this? How much of an improvement does it provide and what can I expect to spend on parts and labor? Thanks a lot.

'84 300D Turbo Diesel, 129k

Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 PM

yeah, i got the 300D instead of the E500. i thought that that was the case with the chip, just someone brought it up yesterday about how i could do it and needed to know for sure. it gets really good gas mileage anyway so im not so much concerned with that as i am with getting more pick up. what can i do to improve that?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 AM

Great, thanks for the tips! I also need help with my instrument cluster light. I know it's usually the rheostat needing to be cleaned. Is there a good site or thread that explains the process to fix this? Also, the part of the lock on the inside of the glove box that catches the clip to close the door has a piece broken off so it won't hold the door closed. Do you know a good website or place where I can order or buy a new one? Thank you

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Great, thank you, I'll do it tomorrow. One more question. My acceleration is extremely slow. Do you think it could be my EGR valve? How can I tell if I need to replace it?