Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Whats the best Mercedes diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Default Whats the best Mercedes diesel

Ok, I just know I'm going to open a can of worms here, but .... What model/year has the best diesel. I've been driving VW diesels for years and know the 'dub, but I want to get a Mercedes diesel to replace my wifes POS Subaru outback. {the dreaded headgasket issue} What year models should I look for. I heard the 190's were solid, as well as just about any of the 300 series. Sure a turbo would be great, but I'm more after the mileage potential. Granted, I already run B50 in my Golf diesel, so any Mercedes diesel that could do better than that POS subaru would be great, which is 30 mpg, Any ideas guys.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Whats the best Mercedes diesel

the new CDI diesel.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have never been able to get above 27 mpg in my 300SDL but then again it is the S-class so its a heavy car but that is the best engine they also put it in 1987 300D and 300TD. But as far as mileage goes the 2005+ E320CDI gets the best fuel mileage but that may be out of ur price range. So i would recommend the 1987 300D or 300TD sedan vs wagon.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:21 PM

LOL, yep, the 2005 E320 would be several dollars out of my price range. I'm looking for more around 6k insted of 60. 27 mpg isn't bad when you consider the weight and the comfort the 300 series has, plus I make bio, so fuel really isn't an issue, at least not until winter then I cut it down to 20%. Of course you didn't hear me say it, but did you know off road diesel is much cheaper than regular diesel, and it's better for the engine anyways, we talked about it, the wife and I. She likes the 190's, but I rather like the saftey of the 300 better when it comes to her and the kids driving in it. Your not the first one thats spoke of the '87's . are there any known problems to look for with the 5 cylinder diesel in them ? I do know a guy that has a 300TD wagon that could be had for a good price, but it needs some head work, I guess the timing belt broke on it. Other than that the body is rust free and in great shape.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Oh, I'm more than willing to travel to get a good deal on a diesel in great shape. My cut off for travel though would have to be as far west as say Tennesee.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: gunny

LOL, yep, the 2005 E320 would be several dollars out of my price range. I'm looking for more around 6k insted of 60. 27 mpg isn't bad when you consider the weight and the comfort the 300 series has, plus I make bio, so fuel really isn't an issue, at least not until winter then I cut it down to 20%. Of course you didn't hear me say it, but did you know off road diesel is much cheaper than regular diesel, and it's better for the engine anyways, we talked about it, the wife and I. She likes the 190's, but I rather like the saftey of the 300 better when it comes to her and the kids driving in it. Your not the first one thats spoke of the '87's . are there any known problems to look for with the 5 cylinder diesel in them ? I do know a guy that has a 300TD wagon that could be had for a good price, but it needs some head work, I guess the timing belt broke on it. Other than that the body is rust free and in great shape.
The 5 cylinder uses a timing chain (but they can break also). Here's a couple links on choosing a used model (one has some specifics on the wagon):

http://mbdieseldiy.tripod.com/dog.htm

http://mercedes-w123.net/buyers_guide.htm

Old 05-23-2006, 02:34 AM

thanks for those web sites, lots of great info. Are the 5 cylinder diesels a "free running" or "interference" engine ? I was wondering if I should ask that guy about his wagon. the timing chain broke on it. How much damage happens with them. I know if you break a timing belt on a vw diesel, your looking at a total rebuild.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:39 PM

OK, there are three answers to this question:

a)the best diesel VEHICLE from MB is and was, without doubt, the UNIMOG.

b)The best diesel CAR is without doubt theone and only 1987 190TD

c)The bes ENGINE was the 87-93 5 cylinder turbo charged diesel.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 PM

Oh, and two more major points-

you say a 300 would make you feel safer, well my first car was an 87 190TD. I was hit in the passengers side by an SUV traveling at 65mph in a 35 zone. It knocked my glasses clear off my head and i was alittle shooken up, but otherwise I was fine. The 190s are very, very safe cars. there is a website out there specificaly of 87 190 crash tests form britan.

and as far as off road diesel goes, not paying uncle sam his pinch for road tax is not only illegal, but unfair and un ethical. If you get dipped by a state trooper, its $2,000 out of your pocket and into uncle sam's. not a very fun experience.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 PM

I must agree with the others, that the 2005 CDI is the best diesels but, they carry a hefty price tag. Next to that I have always thought the 87 300D turbos were the best. I have my 87 300D turbo for sale if you are interested. Its in great condition, and runs great. If you are interested you can e-amil me at BlackSheep3006@aol.com

Quick Reply: Whats the best Mercedes diesel