Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

What type of belts should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Default What type of belts should I buy?

Hi all,

I now own a 1983 240D that was purchased last week. I took her to the mechanic and she is running great but with a few small things that need to be replaced.

I need my belt replaced as they are cracking. When I look on performanceproducts.com, there are two types of 'belt sets'. One for a piston air compressor and the other with a rotary air conditioning compressor.

I never asked the mechanic to look at my air conditioning as I was more focused on the engine but I really think that it's still a R-12 but I don't know if that info is relevant to which belt set I buy.

Could someone please give me guidance on how to choose the correct belt set and how to distinguish if I still have a R-12 a/c?

Apologize if these questions are elementary, this is my first MB and diesel and I need to learn (actually, the first car I'm interested in learning about!)

Thanks,
Squeeshie

Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 PM

If the car has been converted to R-134a it should have compression fit adapters screwed onto the high and low side ports for the A/C. If it still has the threaded ports then it likely hasn't been converted. The refrigerant type shouldn't matter for the belts.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which kind of compressor you have.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Smile

the rotary compresser is round like a roll of paper towels and the piston compresser looks kind of like a lawn mower engine my opinion. for the r-12 or the r-134 in my guess is that it is r-12 myself i havn't run by to many cars that old that have had r-134 in them but cycleboy is right to watch out if it has been converted