Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

What Benz should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Default What Benz should I buy?

Hi, Everyone
I am new to this forum and am looking to maybe replace my current car with a Mercedes turbo diesel. I found a decent deal on one down the road from me but it is on the list of ones not to buy at the top of this forum. Its a 93 300D 2.5 Turbo with 230,000 runs good great shape inside and out except needs headlights, grill, hood, and radiator cross bracket, and front fans from rear ending a truck. I am curious why this car is on the do not buy list if someone could fill me in with known problems with these cars. Also I would like to know what different years and models if I find one in the right price range should I jump on?? Must be Turbo diesel, Auto, four door sedan. I appreciate all of your input and look forward to reading your responses. I am a mechanic for a living but haven't spent too much time working on Mercedes diesels. Had a 81 240d non turbo about ten years ago that I loved but it needed a turbo bad.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM

I am not sure if your particular car is one that has these problems but some of the 6-Cylinders had issues with the Connection Rods Bending and/or problems with the Cylinder Head.
The non-TDI Diesels with Aluminum Heads have had issues with the ends of the Glow Plugs snapping off when you try to remove them. This does not happen all of the time but you need to be aware that it can happen.

If they snap off they need to be drilled out. If you take it to a shop to do that you will find that it makes more money for the shop and safer for them if they remove you Cylinder Head and send it to a Machine Shop than it is to attemt to do it themselves.

My personal thoughts on a used Mercedes is that it should not be the only car that you have. When mine needs work it often means it sits in the Drive Way for several days until I can round up parts, information and sometimes Special Tools to do the job.

They are also cars that if the Vacuum Pump starts making noise you need to stop driving the car ASAP. The parts from the Vacuum Pump can fall into the Timing Chain and or Timing Gears and ruin your Engine.

Lastly is the saying "If you own an old Mercedes you are either Rich or a Mechanic" is close to the truth.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the good info. I'm curious if the glow plug problem is the same on the 5 cylinder motor because that is the motor in this car. It looks pretty similar to the 6 so i don't know why the issue couldn't happen on this motor also. Also I am a diesel mechanic for a living so I guess I have that part covered. I'm sure not rich! I also have a backup vehichle so that's covered. I think I can get this car for around a $1000. I will only do it if I can make sure it will run and drive though. Like I said it's very clean and looks to only need a couple hundred in front end parts. Any other input is much apprecitated. thanks