Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Upper Oil Pan seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Default Upper Oil Pan seal

Hello,

So right now I have a 1983 240d engine on an engine stand, and before I put it back into a car, I wanted to replace seals and gaskets, and clean out brackets and such. I figure its a lot easier to do this while the engine is out on a stand.

Anyway, my specific question is about the seal between the upper oil pan and the engine block. Is there an actual gasket there (because i cant seem to find it on autohausaz or anywhere else online), and is it even worth taking off the upper pan to change it out? I have read online about other people having trouble removing the bolts, either because they are easy to strip out or they are threadlocked in.

Also, to change the fuel injection pump seal, is there a way to lock the pump in place so i don't have to screw around with pump timing when i put it back on? Or am I worrying for no reason.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Alright, thanks for the response and the info. When I looked at the engine itself it didn't really look like there was a gasket, so that makes sense.

However, would you recommend taking off the pan to clean it off and redo the seal? Or does it usually last a long time without leaking (i'm almost certain that seal hasn't been touched since it was in the factory)?

Then, does it sound good to just leave the pump where it is right now, and if it starts to leak when its back in the car, take it to a shop and have them replace the seal and check the timing at the same time?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM

Alright, I'm assuming that you mean that about both the upper pan seal and the fuel pump gasket. It does seem pretty gunky around the upper pan seal, but i think its just from oil collecting on the lip right above the seal. Thanks so much for the help.

- Kyle