Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Is this a Transmition Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Default Is this a Transmition Problem?

I have a 1993 300D Turbo with110,000 miles. Very well kept and maintain. The milage is all highway.The problem am experincinglately is, in the morning when I startall of my gears will change normalthen after a few miles the car will not pick up speedthe speedometer will only goto may 30 to 35.When I stop at a light and start to move there is a delay in changing to 2nd gear and it will jerk when it goes into 2nd gear.It sound like a transmition problem but am not sure. Before I heard over to the Mechanic. Has any oneexperince this problem? Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Default RE: Is this a Transmition Problem?

Hi. I own G400, changing the EGR filter solved similar problem.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

The speed issue is more than likely a clogged fuelfilter, either a spin on or clear one leading to the fuel pump. Easy and cheap replacement.I had a similar problem where mine wouldn't go about 65mph on the highway. It was a dissapointment being stuck in the slow lane for once. lol

it will jerk when it goes into 2nd gear
Is it only in cold weather? That's probably a transmission vaccum issue. If it occurs regardless or what temperature it is outside I would recommend inspecting your flex disks for wear as well as the rear subframe bushings if it applies. Bad flex disks will cause jerk in the drivetrain and eventually explode, but you don't want to know or find out what happens when they go. I don't believe your transmission is at fault, some of them on the 300 will last the car's life.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 AM

I would change the EGR the and the fuel filter. Is the flex disks andthe rear subframe bushings located in the transmission?

This morning I started the car and let it run to a normal temp and check the transmission fluid while in Neutral and at alevel ground and notice the fluidlevel is passed the full level mark twice as much. I mean too much transmission fluid. Can this also be my problem ?

I willget under it and releasesome. Or is there any way I can suck it out from where the dip stick goes ?

I will let you guys know of the out come. Please don't forget to tell me where the flex disks and the rear subfram bushings locations.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
sfk

Wow, I had a 1983 Mercedes 300SD. The one time I took it in to have them change the transmission fluid and after two weeks, I realized they way overfilled the transmission. (I checked after getting similar symptoms, it not wanting to shift into at first third gear and later on even having troubles shifting to second gear). I tried replacing the ERG (I think) there is NOT much you can change on a transmission.

OHHH, I also changed the Kick down switch. It is located under the gas pedal. When you floor the gas pedal, it is designed to send a signal to transmission to downshift. so if the switch stays in closed position, it is staying in the low gear. See if you have this. (that helped initially). You can actually just unplug this switch from the transmission. You don't need to replace it. (Car will just not go into super down shift mode when you give gas).

Anyway, eventually my car locked up in a gear and then eventually just spun. The good news, is there is not much you can replace on the transmission. Based on your symptoms it is your transmission (not the fuel filter). Replace the ERG and unplug the kick down switch.
Also, just fyi, transmission works on vacuum system. I have been told numerous times that over filling your transmission will not hurt it, I disagree.

Scott

Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 AM

I have some time to release some of the transmission fluid, and test drive it. I noticedsome improvement in how it changes gear. However am not satisfied. I bought the followingpart tochange: inline fuel filter / Spin on fuel filter.

Scott
what do you mean that 'eventually my car locked up in a gear and then eventually just spun.' Am going to change the EGR and the fuel filters. If that don't work I will have the vacum check.

I'll let you all know of the out come.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 AM
sfk

You can change the fuel filters but they really don't sound like the problem.

What I meant about "eventually my car locked up in gear" was that it literally got stuck in 1st gear and wouldn't pop into second hear. Originally the sypmtom was I would hear a clunk and it would only shift into second gear after the RPM of the engine got pretty high. You would hear a thud as it finally shift into second gear. Like I said though it eventually would lock into first gear.

Then after changing that one part on the top of the left side of the the transmission (one screw holds it in, I guess it is the EGR but I thought it was something else), The engine would never then shift.

Like I mentioned though, on these transmissions, there is not much to replace. I just took this engine and transmission out of the 1983 car, I took the engine only and I am putting it on a 1979 car. I spent all day yesterday continueing the job. (I wish someone had told me that you have to replace the oil filter housing assembly).
I am going to send another email where I will try to send a photo. I have the transmission now sitting on my garage floor. I plan on taking the transmission completely apart to see how the internals look.

Scott

Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 AM
sfk

I will try sending a photo of the entire engine and trans out. I will try to do a photo of just the trans over the next day or so

[IMG]local://upfiles/19935/3C81C84B49B7428C9832EEF709F42EF8.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
sfk

Ok, Here is the 1983 Transmission photo. The green thing is the modulator Valve. If you got to
http://catalog.worldpac.com/tayco/part.jsp?partner=tayco&clientid=alloemautopart s.com&cookieid=1K70GXEWW2A60MIH1W&baseurl= http://www.alloemautoparts.com/&year=1993&make=MB&model=300-DT-003&category=J&showChildren=false
It is alloemautoparts.comand then I selected your car and then transmsission.
I do not see an ERG thing for your transmission and not quite sure what that is.

If you ask your dealer, you might find out. (let me know if this goes to your car).
I see another part called the AT reaction valve seal (but don't see one for "reaction valve" but I do see it for 1983). It is a possibility that this too could be your problembut I never replaced that. I only replaced the modulator and the other part I am pointing to.

So FYI a photo of the 1983 transmission. (I hope this helps). If you click on the image and link the picture should come up in good quality.

Scott

[IMG]local://upfiles/19935/47E4E4799E9D48F5B8045551B3805D35.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Hi, Guys

Thanks a lot for the info. I bought the fuel filters but havn't changedthem yet.we are in the mid winter and the garage is so cold. As soon asthe wheatherbrakes hopefully next week I will change them andletyou know.
Scott, you did a good job withthe pictures you posted I really appreciate that.Keep up the good work.

By the way I just remember a dealer sold me addtive 2 months ago before I started to experince this issue its call 'Dee-Zol' it is for diesel engine supposed to clean the the rust in the system. He showed me some rust on my gas tank cover and said I should add a little to the gas each time i fill up. untill i don't see the rust on the cover then replace the cover with a new one which I did. Thinking back this could have caused my problem.MY injectors , fuel filters are probably clogged up.

Do any one know any thing about this addtive 'Dee-Zol'