Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Transmission is screaming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Default Transmission is screaming!!!

I finally completed my engine swap, a 87 3.0 turbo in a 92 300SD. Had to modify the oil pickup tube but it runs great. The transmission was fine before I pulled the "rod-bender". Now it's screaming like a litter of kittens and it shifts into reverse and drive with a hard clunk. It also seems to be "stuck" in 2nd gear. It does not shift up and can barely make it up my drive way.
Any ideas?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Default RE: Transmission is screaming!!!

What is the "flex plate coupler"? All I can say is, I don't have any bolts left over. Would I have had to unbolt this coupler to remove the engine? I don't recall having to do that.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Default RE: Transmission is screaming!!!

Sorry, I am operating without a manual so I don't know all the names to things. Yes, I put all the bolts in the coupler plates. Six as I remember.
I can only assume it was seated all the way. The first time it was not, as there was a 1/2" gap between the bell housing and the engine. So I had to go back and make sure it was seated. I did not know about the "3 notches".
Would I not have been able to get the bolts in the coupler plates if the torque converter was not seated all the way?