Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Timing Chain Crimping Tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Default Timing Chain Crimping Tool

I'm going to replace my 1983 300D's timing chain tomorrow and I have a few questions about using the crimping tool...

First, based upon my Haynes manual, it looks as if one removes a link by grinding its pins off--flush to the link. Then one uses a hammer and chisel to knock the plates of the link pins. Is this the way?

(The Mercedes manual pdf files I've got seem to reference an older "snap-together" style pin that doesn't need a crimping tool, so they're not much use.)

The plates that came with the new link, are pretty tight--I doubt if I can fit them over the pins by hand. Is the crimping tool used here, somehow?

The fitting/attachment that slides as you twist the tools positioning bolt has two possible orientations. One presents a 120-degree notch like affair that has a second notch or groove at its center. I would like to know what that is for. The other position has a surface that clearly accepts a link.

I saw--somewhere--a proceedure that had you using the tool in a two-step process where, at some point, you flipped that attachment and then finished the crimping process.

If anyone out there can walk me through this--or point me to a useful URL, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

-jeff