Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

RUNNING OUT OF FUEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Default RUNNING OUT OF FUEL

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I RUN OUT OF FUEL WITH MY 81 300 CD? I HAVE BEEN TOLD VARIOUS STORIES AND WANT TO KNOW FROM ANYONE THIS MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED TO. THANKS

Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Default RE: RUNNING OUT OF FUEL

The car will stop.

Seriously, to get started again you'll need to put a few gallons of fuel into the tank. When done, replace the fuel cap and then proceed to the injection pump, located on the left front of the engine. You'll see a round plastic plunger (usually white) that is used to prime the pump.

Turn the round handle to the lefta few rotations to loosen, and then pump it up and down about 30 times. This will re-fill the fuel line from the tank and remove any air from the delivery system. When done push the handle back down and carefully turn it to the right to re-seat it into the pump body.

Start up the engine, giving it a few minutes to normalize before you head out onto the road. If the engine runs really rough or does not start run through the pumping routine again.

Get to the fuel station and fill up the tank.

Any junk accumulated in the tank since 1981 that got past the tank pickupscreen will already have been deposited into your primary and secondary filters in the engine bay. You should replace those ASAP.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM

O.K. SO THE TWO REPLIES I RECIEVED ARE THE SAME. DESPITE MY EGO AND STOPPING I CAN JUST FILL AND GO. I HAD HEARD THAT THE INJECTORS WOULD NEED TO BE BLED BUT REPRIMING THE PUMP IS EASY. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM

Your filters should stop any junk/ water from getting to your injectors, but may plug up and have to change them to get it started. I just bought a 87 300D that sat for 6 months that had tons of water in the fuel tank. I drained it and had to change the filters secondary twice. If water would get past that will clog the injectors on a lot of diesels but the secondary blocks it pretty good. Mine does not have a primer just a good battery, and I crack open the fuel return line until fuels comes to expedite the process. Best practice is don't run out if their are other problems you may not get it running right away

Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM

just curious i guess. don't plan on running out but i think my reserve light doesnt work so as soon as i fix major problems (almost done one more day) i'll pull the sending unit and check it out. thanks to all for the replies.