Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

"Name That Part"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Default "Name That Part"

Hi all, I have a 1979 30sd and I have traced a vacuum leak to this part and I don't know what the name of it is so I can order one. I will try to describe it as best I can. The engine is a 3.0 Turbo 617-950. The part is located to the right of the injector pump and on top of the shut-off valve. It is cream colored and has a vacuum line coming into it and another going out throught the fire wall behind the brake booster. There is a lever connected to it that comes up from the bottom of the engine. What is the part name and what does it do. Right now it makes a noise when the car is idling and when the car is off and you move the throttle link on top of engine.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Default RE: "Name That Part"

Sorry It's a 300sd

Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 AM

Post a pic of the part in question so we can help you.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM

I will try to do that. Question. Ok from what I understand the transmission shifts on vacuum. The more the vacuum the quicker the shifts. At heavy acceleration, vacuum is low so the transmission don't shift as soon in order to aid in quick acceleration. Now if this is correct, I have all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly, whyI am still getting no vacuum at the transmission? I got under the car and the vac line seems to be going into the trans, so where could my problem be.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM

check the vacuum valves underthe black box on top of the valve cover. my trans would not shift except at the upper extreems of engine RPM so in order to cruise at say 40-45 i had to hit sixty then snap the throttle shut.one nipple was broken and one valve was leaking hence no shift. also the levers that operate these valves wear out.IF YOU REPLACE THEMDO NOT LUBRICATE THEM. lubricant will attract dirt speeding wear.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks but I don't have the little black box on top of the engine. The only thing on top of this engine is the throttle linkage and a rod that goes down to the pass. side of the tranny, I was told that that controled the shift so I adjusted it and nothing happened. Funny thing is that I can drive just barelypressing the brake and the car shifts great. I'm just about ready to pull out what little hair I have left!!!![>:]

Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM

believe it is called an inj. pump vacuum valve that supplies vacuum to trany. not sure i copied and pasted correctly or if this will post but benzautoparts.com has it

HOME

NEW CAR

START OVER

VIEW CART

CHECKOUT

PART CATEGORIES

LIVE SUPPORT

Vehicle:

1979Mercedes Benz300SD

Part:

Inj. Pump Vacuum Valve

Keyword Search
(Enter 1 Keyword)

Part # Search

Details

AdditionalNotes:

Trans: 722.120
Vacuum Valve
Mounts on injection pump and supplies vacuum/pressure to the shift modulator on the transmission. See also 002 997 53 36 for 2/3 vacuum valve.

Fits:

All Types

What is a Core Price? Click Here

Please call us TOLL FREE at 800-509-4690.

*Order by phone - You may have received this message because we have additional questions about your vehicle or suggestions and information about the part your are requesting.

[hr]
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Returns | Service Terms | Privacy Policy | Feedback

Copyright © 2001-2008 Auto Parts Place, All rights Reserved Disclaimer