Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Rough Start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Default Rough Start...

Type: 300D 2.5 Turbo (W124/ OM602)
Year: 1991 (built 9/90)

History: All repairs are well documented and typical for the age and model, no history or signs of accidents, very clean inside and out... I am the 3rd owner, 1st 1991-2005, 2nd 2005-2007. My uncle, the 2nd owner purchased it from 1st owner’s estate auction when he noticed it was indeed a diesel... As his third automobile, it was primarily used by house guests and his help for short trips around town. He personally drove it on occasion, but due to extensive traveling was unable to give it the "proper" exercise it needed. A few weeks ago he replaced it with a 1st generation BMW touring wagon and offered the old diesel to me. Clearly I excepted the offer, having been raised on W123's, W126's, and W210's Diesels I could hardly resist.

Ownership: The first several days were wonderful: I throughly cleaned both the interior and exterior in 40 degree weather with a great deal of pride. I drove it on the outer motor way and around the city all the while enjoying the sweet sound of a chirping diesel (oh so reminiscence of the car pool line). On the 5th day I began to have the problem as stated below...

Problem: The past 2 days when starting the car, only sometimes does the glow plug light come on, either way I wait 15-20 sec. and repeat. If the vehicle starts it’s usually is after 5 sec. of CHUGING... If not I always repeat those steps again. Eventually it either starts or I run down the battery, if the latter of the two then I jump it giving it the energy it needs to cough it self back to life, which usually does the trick. HOWEVER this morning I did all of the above and sadly nothing except CHUGS... I reluctantly drove my Money/Fuel sucking Audi A4 Avant to work!

Parts That Have Checked Out Okay: battery, alternator, starter, glow plugs, glow plug relay, fuel lines and filters.

Question: Has anyone here ever experienced this type of problem before?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Default RE: Rough Start...

Front of left hand wheelhouse (underhood) black box (4"X3.5"X2") with white lettered part #:
007 545 99 32 [Pre-Glow time relay] inside is the 80 amp Aluminum strip fuse.The fuse can
have a hairline crack (not visible to the naked eye) that inhibits or totally disables the glow
system.(Only way to properly diagnose is for continuity with a multimeter)OR if you have
a male 120volt plug somewhere in the vicinity of your righthand lower front [block heater]
'Plug that baby in for 5 or 6 hours...the engine will come up to operating temp...if it starts
then you have diagnosed a glow system problem.
Inexpensive,quick repair (fuses available at any Mercedes dealer...would suggest keeping
spare in the glove box.)