Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Rattle in new timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Default Rattle in new timing chain

Help! I had Rolf's of Lakewood, WA, install a new timing chain, tensioner spring and tensioner, in my 1982, 300D Turbo. I picked it up yesterday, and this morning I heard a distinct rattle coming from the timing chain box. I only hear it briefly after I race the engine. If there is slack in that chain, shouldn't the tensioner atomatically tightened the chain? Of course I intend to take it back on Monday, but I'd like to be armed with a little of your knowledge/experience before I drive in.... Or should I even drive it in? Should I have it towed? Geeeze, at least that should get their attention!
Thanks,
Charlie Munn

Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rattle in new timing chain

Tow the Car. DO NOT START THE CAR!!! You could destroy the engine.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:37 PM

Which ever you decide to do, you will still profit. I'm still reeling over the $400.00 deal you got at purchase.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the support. `Turns out that the Air filter housing had a bad bracket. The Tech knew the car was coming back in on Monday so, he said, he made a temporary repair, which of course lasted all of one day. . I swear, it sounded just like a slapping timing chain----- What a relief to discover it was just a silly rattle. But I did have it towed in because, apart from the possible loose timing chain, the tech had broken a stud on the throttle linkage, and had just stuck it back together. Needless to say, it fell off twice while in heavy traffic and I barely made it to the side of the road. I'm lucky it didn't fall off as I crossed the Narrows Bridge!
Best wishes,
charlie

Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 PM

Well, I did get a good deal, but I'm spending money like a drunken sailor! The body doesn't have any rust, the timing chain was tight, it stopped okay, and the tires were a bit worn, but marginally okay, etc... So I could have probably driven it 'as is" for thousands of more miles. However, so far I've had the timing chain replaced, as well as the stearing gear box, motor mounts, motor shocks, tranny mount, differential mount and rear subframe bushings. I've also had the front brakes done, replaced shocks and struts and bought new tires.
I'm just now finishing the installation of a mercedessource. com SVO kit. As soon as I'm done I'll strip off all trim, bumpers, etc., repair a couple of very small dings, and sand it down. I have access to a professional paint shop and a pro who will advise me in the prep work, as well as prime and shoot it for $200..... The biggest price is for the Mercedes paint and primer, etc... a little over a $1000. I also invested in a mobile compressior and sander... from Harbor Frieght.. Compressor on saile for $89.00. Sander was $59.00.
Geeeeze, ain't it fun!
charlie

Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 AM

Well, think of it this way. She could have sold it to you for 4,000.00 +

So, now you have a project, and something to keep you amused, frustrated, and busy! How bout that!!!

Best to you! Post some pics when you're done. I'd love to see them.

Best to you.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:38 AM

Well, think of it this way. She could have sold it to you for 4,000.00 +

True. I knew very little about these old Mercedes diesels and the learning curve is still pretty steep. But since the body was so clean and it ran and shifted okay, I knew it was worth more than $400. (It was a hotrod, compared to my little creampuff Jetta ecodiesel.) But I wasn't looking for a project and, at that time, there was no way I would have paid more than $400. for it. ( Later, the owner of Helmut's German Auto Repair said the engine has such good compression he could get $1800. for the engine alone. ) Still, before I bought it, I told the lady that if she advertizes I strongly suspected she could get at least a $1000. for it... But she had made up her mind to sell .. Still, before I handed her the money I said, " Are you sure about this? " and she said she "yes," and hoped I fixed it up and made it into a "cherry."
And you're right, I'm havin' fun!