Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Radiator repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Default Radiator repair

Good afternoon, I have a question.I own a 1989 190D and I have to replace my radiator. I searched the forums here trying to get some information but didn't find what I am looking for. I need to know a few things:
  • Is replacing the radiator hard to do?
  • Does replacing the radiator take a long time?
  • How many jugs of coolant does it take to replace what gets lost?
  • Any special tools and/or items needed to work on the radiator?
  • Where is a good place to find a manual? I have gone to every parts store around and they don't have any. I suspect I'll have to find one online, but does anyone have a good recommendation?
Thanks for your input.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM

I have a 1989 189D and had to replace the radiator several years ago because the top neck broke and dumped all of the coolant out in a matter of seconds. A buddy of mine got the radiator for me so I don't know exactly where he got it. It did have the re-inforced necks so I suspect it will last a while.

Replacing the radiator, as far as I remember, was pretty easy. I believe there are 2 clips on the top that pry-off easily. You'll need to remove the fan shroud next. I think you simply rotate it and slide it over the fan (towards the engine) and just let it rest. Then you should be able to pull the radiator cover straight up. Next, you have the 2 transmission cooling lines (if you have an automatic). These connect to the radiator with a flexible (spring covered rubber) line. So, you have 2 different possibilities from which to disconnect the lines. I replaced these as they were in bad shape. I always capped these lines so I wouldn't lose too much transmission fluid. Finally, remove the hoses (top and bottom) from the radiator and you should be able to lift the radiator out.

I'm certain I didn't use more than 1 gallon of coolant (2 gallons mixed) when I changed my radiator. When you refill it, turn the heater on so that you auxillary pump turns on and you can fill the entire system.

When removing the transmission cooler lines, you should use line wrenches (after soaking with pentrating oil). No other special tools should be required.

I have the CD manual you can order from E-Bay. It's not a Bentley but it does provide some help. I often use EPCnet (http://epc.startekinfo.com) to see how things are put together. I think it also has part numbers but I've never used them.

For parts, if it's not electrical and I'd like an MB part, I go to the junk yards (Crazy Rays in MD). You get good practice and great prices. When I buy from the internet, I usually go to www.buymbparts.biz. I've never gotten the wrong part, the prices are reasonable, and (if you spend enough) you can usually get free shipping.

BTW: My 190D is my daily driver (over 100 miles per day) and the odometer reads over 413,000 miles.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! It is VERY helpful, thanks, I will definitely look up that website! Thanks again!

Oh, the mileage on your car is unbelievable! wow, that is incredible. I can only hope that I mine will last that long.

Last edited by Serenity; 02-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Thumbs up Thank you

Hboone, I wanted thank you for your information. My "new" radiator is on its way and by using your instructions we had the "old" one out so fast! Wow, thanks for your help!