Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Leak from the tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Default Leak from the tailpipe

hello all, i am new to the forum and have (hopefully) a quick question.
i just returned from a quick trip with my folks in which we took their car so my car was parked for two days. upon returning my dad and i noticed a small pool of liquid directly under the tailpipe (as seen below). my first thought was that because i ran out of fuel a couple days ago (odometer and fuel gauge dont work and i guessed wrong) it could be unburned fuel that happened to escape and this is what i am hoping, im going to keep an eye on it for the next few days but is this something anyone has heard of or seen before? i did a google search that yeilded this forum but little else helpful to my quandary and a search of this site with the words tailpipe leak yeilded nothing. thank you in advance for any help.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM

oh yeah, it is a 1979 300sd, i picked it up off my parents neighbor, who bought it from my dad ten years ago. i love it so far and am thrilled to be virtually invisible to police, a far cry from my old car, a bright red and fairly loud '91 Mazda Miata. i do miss the convertible top, but i hope to have the sunroof working soon and that should help a little bit.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM

You hinted but did not say directly if it was Diesel Fuel on the Ground.

You mignt want to crawl under the car and check the 2 Rubber Hoses that come out from the bottom of the Fuel Tank.

While you are under there take a look at the Rubber Boots on the Rear Axles and also the Rubber Flex Discs at the ends of the Drive Shaft.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM

yes i believe it is diesel fuel on the ground, but i am personally relatively new to diesel as i have only had this car about a month. the placement of the puddle is directly under the end of the tailpipe and bumper, the fuel tank hoses are on the other side of the car and the leak is centered quite a bit behind and towards the drivers side of the fuel tank.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 AM

condensation while sitting for two days though?