Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Pyrometer and Boost gauges??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Default Pyrometer and Boost gauges??

Okay-- I've bought an '81 240D..

Seems like you have to beat that thing like an ugly step kid to get it on the highway.. I guess I'm worried I'll beat it to death..

The downpipe off the exhaust head of mine is SHOT.. Since I have to replace it-- I'm thinking about having someone weld a port for a pyrometer in it-- just so I can monitor EGT..

Will someone whos' done this give me some background on doing it-- or any advice they're willing to share...

In the next few weeks.. I'll also be getting an '85 300SD.. I'm considering a boost gauge as WELL as a pyrometer there..

If someone's done these, and wouldn't mind posting pics, or anything to 'direct' me a little-- let me know..

The SD will be likely used this fall for a 75 mile one way commute starting this fall.. I want to do everything I can to make it a reliable vehicle for my girlfriend to drive..

I'm making biodiesel-- in small amounts now, and plan on increasing my production... But I have to keep the vehicles on the road, to make it doable..

AJ RN

Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Default RE: Pyrometer and Boost gauges??

Forced..

I'd been considering Propane Fumigation (especially for the 240D), for a smidge more power getting on the highway--

I guess I wasn't clear 'bout that part..

Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM

So putting it in the downpipe isn't going to be accurate enough??

I was hoping, since I'd be replacing that-- it'd be a good place.. I was going to have a port welded in, before installed it. The metal, being new, would be easier to work with..

...Oh, and I didn't want to have to pull the exhaust manifold!!

I guess if that's the only way to do it correctly-- Sigh..

Let me know.. I was only talking a few inches from the exhaust head/downpipe union..

AJ RN

Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 AM

Rules, Rules, Rules.. [:@]

I'll go "close" to the manifold, and at least be able to differentiate a "difference" when I'm fumigatin'..

I'm really hesitant to drill into that exhaust manifold.. It's got a nice coat of rust on it-- and I think that's what's holding it together!

Downpipe for now-- maybe a new manifold when I pull the engine to put into something else.. (My goal for the 240D motor is to go into a Ranger sized pickup, down the road..)

AJ

Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 AM

My thoughts were-- whatever it is (temp wise) without the propane fogger, maybe allow it to go a hundred higher, or 1200F, which was lower..