Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

240D Automatic Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Default 240D Automatic Transmission questions

Was going to change the tranny filter/fluid in my '81 240D.. Doesn't smell burnt, but OH MY does it look awful.. I figured maybe there's still time to get the nasty stuff out of there before it hurts something..

I'd see the diesel giant 'to do' file..

I was underneath, assessing HOW far gone my exhaust was-- and thought-- Hmm, I could drain the fluid from the plug NOW-- re-add fill it, and drain it again, when the filter arrives later this week.. But UGH-- doesn't look like there's a pan drain on my tranny-- are there some without it??

If that's the case-- is there an 'easy' way to drain the torque converter??

I want to get as much of the old (probably been in the transmission since BIRTH) fluid out, as 'reasonably' possible. I don't really feel like dumping $100 into having it "professionally" flushed, either.. Still would have to get underneath, to change the filter.. Can't imagine changing fluids, and leaving the filter..

Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Default RE: 240D Automatic Transmission questions

ORIGINAL: ajrn

Was going to change the tranny filter/fluid in my '81 240D.. Doesn't smell burnt, but OH MY does it look awful.. I figured maybe there's still time to get the nasty stuff out of there before it hurts something..

I'd see the diesel giant 'to do' file..

I was underneath, assessing HOW far gone my exhaust was-- and thought-- Hmm, I could drain the fluid from the plug NOW-- re-add fill it, and drain it again, when the filter arrives later this week.. But UGH-- doesn't look like there's a pan drain on my tranny-- are there some without it??

Don't bother messing with it until you're ready to do the whole job.

In many automatics, you drain the fluid by slowly dropping the pan, leave a bolt or two in the front or back of the pan halfway loose, and pull the rest, letting the pan hang down. You'll need a rather wide drain pan.

My older Benz'z have a banjo bolt that holds the dipstick tube on, that is a good place to start draining the trans if you have that setup.

The torque converter has a drain plug, you have to rotate it around til you see it I believe it takes a small allen type socket to get off.

If that's the case-- is there an 'easy' way to drain the torque converter??

I want to get as much of the old (probably been in the transmission since BIRTH) fluid out, as 'reasonably' possible. I don't really feel like dumping $100 into having it "professionally" flushed, either.. Still would have to get underneath, to change the filter.. Can't imagine changing fluids, and leaving the filter..

If you change the fluid and filter every 20 or 30 thousand, most automatics will last a very long time

Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Default RE: 240D Automatic Transmission questions

Thanks--

I knew the pan drop technique.. I didn't think about using the banjo bolt though.. That sounds like a pretty slick plan..

...ANY idea of what the refill capacity is-- if I drain the torque converter?? I'm assuming 6 quarts, as a start point.. Then a half quart of at a time, till I met the marks..