Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Please Advise!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Default Please Advise!

Hi, this is my first post so please go easy on me. I've had a 1990 350 SDL for about 3 years now (man this is starting out like a 12 step program). It uses oil at different rates but on a 600 mile trip maybe 2 quarts. I started to worry about the timing chain after reading about that, then it started using a little coolant (never pressure tested it but couldn't find any leaks), so I just kept it full and used it for an around town car so as not to be stranded. In town one day the neck broke off the top tank of the radiator and I roadside repaired it, filled with water, & nursed it home. It sat for a few weeks and I moved it to mow and it now has a HUGE oil leak behind the left front headlight in the oil cooler area and upon further inspection it has a little bit of oil in the coolant surge tank. It has been sitting for about a year because I am mad at it, but now I need to figure out what to do. I paid $3500 for it when I bought it and the car is really in nice shape with only 1 rust hole in front of the left front wheel. Should I try to sell it as is? What's it worth? Should I take the head off to investigate? If the head is cracked (it never overheated) how much is a head? Where can I find one? I read a lot about 14 heads, how do you know which one you have? Should I not pull the head and just try to find a used engine from a 300 (I don't know what will fit or the engine code for the 300)? Should I try to find a used radiator, repair the oil cooler leak, and just drive it till it pukes while keeping the oil/coolant full? I'm kinda lost but I'm scared of the rod bending nature of this engine long term if they're not bent already. Sorry this is so long but I really need help. Thanks in advance, Tigafila

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM

I never knew you could swap heads from the 3.5 to the 3.0 engines. I might invest one day in one of the heads when it is time to pull the motor.